Bus and Wire Corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicklaxt

Are you dealing with all like materials,if not then electrolisis is probably at play.If it is like materials what is the atmosphere,may need a heater to hold down moisture(humidity),f it is a corrosive atmosphere then just good maintenance is key,,lots of culprits in the possible scenario.

dick

Lots of possibilities, yes. It kinda resembles what the Statue of Liberty looks like to me..... the green and all..... Heck, she lasted a long time prior to the new sheeting she got a few years ago. :)

are you near salt water?? Chlorine of a pool will do very similar.... How old is that installation?? weeks / months / years ???

W6SJK

Outdoor 3R switchboard... about 5 miles from the ocean in southern California and about 3 years old. I don't know of many installations (only one that I can think of) with heaters in this climate. And I've never noticed this corrosion in other installations. Thanks.

Are you dealing with all like materials,if not then electrolisis is probably at play.If it is like materials what is the atmosphere,may need a heater to hold down moisture(humidity),f it is a corrosive atmosphere then just good maintenance is key,,lots of culprits in the possible scenario.

dick

Dissimilar metals shouldn't affect wire terminated in lugs listed for the use, and for relatively long lengths of exposed buss and copper wire... ?

zog

Outdoor 3R switchboard... about 5 miles from the ocean in southern California and about 3 years old. I don't know of many installations (only one that I can think of) with heaters in this climate. And I've never noticed this corrosion in other installations.

The heaters are to prevent condensation from occuring, and only need to keep the inside of the enclosure 1 degree warmer than outside. Has nothing to do with climate, those cold damp Sol Cal mornings are perfect conditions for this to occur.

W6SJK

The heaters are to prevent condensation from occuring, and only need to keep the inside of the enclosure 1 degree warmer than outside. Has nothing to do with climate, those cold damp Sol Cal mornings are perfect conditions for this to occur.

In my past edjumication I learned that the strip heaters are to keep the interior above the dew point. But other (older) switchboards at the same location do not have this corrosion...

zog

In my past edjumication I learned that the strip heaters are to keep the interior above the dew point. But other (older) switchboards at the same location do not have this corrosion...

Not yet they don't. If it was an airborne contaminant, like sulphur, it would be affecting all the other panels too, but your photos do not appear to be from a contaminant, it looks like classic moustire intrusion from condensation. There are many factors that could cause one to be at a more advaned stage than the others, a difference in loading will make a difference. Those pesky I2R losses have a nice effect similar to a heater strip, so lightly loaded panels will be more prone to condensation.

dicklaxt

Outdoor 3R switchboard... about 5 miles from the ocean in southern California and about 3 years old. I don't know of many installations (only one that I can think of) with heaters in this climate. And I've never noticed this corrosion in other installations. Thanks.

Dissimilar metals shouldn't affect wire terminated in lugs listed for the use, and for relatively long lengths of exposed buss and copper wire... ?

Right you are but from where I'm standing I can not tell if they are compatible,so the question stands until now where you are saying they are.What does the length have to do with it?

dick

W6SJK

What does the length have to do with it?

dick

One of the attached photos shows maybe 6 to 8 inches of exposed stranded copper wire, all "blackened/tarnished". I would think that dissimilar metal corrosion would only be at and near the termination or metal-metal contact.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

W6SJK

P.S. Old discussions on other sites suspect sulphur, i.e. sewer gas and yes, Chinease drywall in one residential case...

Status
Not open for further replies.