Service entrance rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just wanting to clarify a need for a Service Entrance Rated transfer switch.
I am instllaing an automatic transfer switch in place of a manual transfer switch.
The existing service is set up with a fused disconnect on the normal power side on the exterior of the building then feeding the new txfer switch which is on the immediate interior of the building. On the standby side I am going to add a fused disconnect at the genset and feed to the new auto txfer switch. The new auto txfer switch then immediatly feeds the adjacent switchgear.
Just can't seem to find any reference to what specifically is the qualifying circumstances for the need to be service entrance rated.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The existing service is set up with a fused disconnect on the normal power side on the exterior of the building then feeding the new txfer switch

Not required to be service rated.

Service Equipment. The necessary equipment, usually consisting of a circuit breaker(s) or switch(es) and fuse(s) and their accessories, connected to the load end of service conductors to a building or other structure, or an otherwise designated area, and intended to constitute the main control and cutoff of the supply.

Thanks Chris,
I somehow got some info stating that if all the supply current, or the entire load serviced by the service, was passed through a piece of equipment then that equipment had to be service entrance rated. I don't know where I read that though.
Any thought on this??
Thanks,
Mike

ceb58

The existing service is set up with a fused disconnect on the normal power side on the exterior of the building then feeding the new txfer switch which is on the immediate interior of the building.

On the standby side I am going to add a fused disconnect at the genset and feed to the new auto txfer switch. The new auto txfer switch then immediatly feeds the adjacent switchgear.
Just can't seem to find any reference to what specifically is the qualifying circumstances for the need to be service entrance rated.

As Chris said not requried. A service rated transfer switch would have the OCP/Disco built in for the utility supply and gen. supply.

The disco for the gen set must comply with 225.31 & 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.