Interesting Transformer failure video

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxslick

I'm sure you've all seen the videos on Youtube of the Ive's Dairy substation transformer blowing up, but I have stumbled across a unique view of a large transformer failure:

HERE

Notice how the internal structure moves around under the fault current. The end of the video shows the beginning of the complete failure of the unit.

I have always wondered what the insides look like under a fault..now I know.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm sure you've all seen the videos on Youtube of the Ive's Dairy substation transformer blowing up, but I have stumbled across a unique view of a large transformer failure:

HERE

Notice how the internal structure moves around under the fault current. The end of the video shows the beginning of the complete failure of the unit.

I have always wondered what the insides look like under a fault..now I know.

It looks like it was shot with IR film. Watching the components very slo-mo fall, they must have been pushing 100,000 fps or better.

mxslick

Thanks guys. :grin:

I found the "blowout" of the wedges interesting.

I was very near a substation during an earthquake and the transformers made a very strange growling/groaning sound, this video clarified why as the movement of the coils, wedges and tap leads (at the top) would make for some bizarre sounds, especially under oil.

mxslick

It looks like it was shot with IR film. Watching the components very slo-mo fall, they must have been pushing 100,000 fps or better.

Yes and no. :) The frame rate though would only be about 500-1000 max as that is the practical limit of a film camera. Modern electronic video cameras can reach 100,000 fps but it takes massive lighting to get any exposure. And I doubt that any electronic camera could survive the extreme EMF a faulted transformer would generate.

Assuming that this was on a 60hz system, one could figure the motions to be (in real time) occurring at 120 pulses/sec, so take the time for one complete cycle in the time lapse and multiply by 120 to get the frame rate. (If I have my math right that is.)

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yes and no. :) The frame rate though would only be about 500-1000 max as that is the practical limit of a film camera. Modern electronic video cameras can reach 100,000 fps but it takes massive lighting to get any exposure. And I doubt that any electronic camera could survive the extreme EMF a faulted transformer would generate.

Assuming that this was on a 60hz system, one could figure the motions to be (in real time) occurring at 120 pulses/sec, so take the time for one complete cycle in the time lapse and multiply by 120 to get the frame rate. (If I have my math right that is.)

I took Ederton's course at MIT one summer, and I recall that film was pushing at least 10,000 fps (see Fastax). I'll see if I can dig out my course materials, but no promises. That was 2 moves and 25 years ago!

mxslick

I took Ederton's course at MIT one summer, and I recall that film was pushing at least 10,000 fps (see Fastax). I'll see if I can dig out my course materials, but no promises. That was 2 moves and 25 years ago!

I am willing to bet you are correct with 10,000 fps... I spoke to a local camera expert and my post was in error (dropped a zero on each of those numbers) in that 10,000 fps is doable...but he agrees that 100,000 fps isn't possible with film. :grin:

To everyone who commented so far, thanks and glad you liked this video. :grin:

mxslick

Guys, I don't mind the addition of the hydro power accident to this thread (since it does show a transformer explosion :grin: ) but PLEASE keep politics out of this discussion.

WinZip, thanks for the links, especially the Boston Globe coverage which has an excellent photo gallery showing the sobering extent of the damage.

On topic to my original video, does anyone know of a contact at GE who could perhaps explain what's going on and the detailed analysis of the test? My searches/inquiries so far have proven dead ends.

Or if anyone else knows of similar videos put 'em on here too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.