EMT Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebell

While installing EMT on the job today one of my cowokers made a statement regarding support of the tubing at the switchboard. He believes that there is no support needed from the point the tubing 90's down from it's hanger to where it terminates in the switch gear enclosure. I believe this to be incorrect and that art 358.30(A) requires the EMT to be securely fastened within 3 feet of the enclosure. His argument is that the switchboard enclosure is not specifiaclly stated in the article therefore the support is not needed. I countered saying that the words "or other tubing termination" covers any other tubing installations not listed.

Is there something I may have overlooked?

mcclary's electrical

While installing EMT on the job today one of my cowokers made a statement regarding support of the tubing at the switchboard. He believes that there is no support needed from the point the tubing 90's down from it's hanger to where it terminates in the switch gear enclosure. I believe this to be incorrect and that art 358.30(A) requires the EMT to be securely fastened within 3 feet of the enclosure. His argument is that the switchboard enclosure is not specifiaclly stated in the article therefore the support is not needed. I countered saying that the words "or other tubing termination" covers any other tubing installations not listed.

Is there something I may have overlooked?

The only thing you missed is that if there is no support available, the distance can be increased to 5 ft.
That would be the max and only in that situation

joebell

The only thing you missed is that if there is no support available, the distance can be increased to 5 ft.
That would be the max and only in that situation

I forgot to put that in my OP but I did bring the exception up at the site. He was telling me he has run 20' or more down from the last support to the top of the enclosure without any support. It just didn't sound right to me.

mcclary's electrical

I forgot to put that in my OP but I did bring the exception up at the site. He was telling me he has run 20' or more down from the last support to the top of the enclosure without any support. It just didn't sound right to me.

It didn't sound right because it's not right. As you said, the words "other termination" pretty much sum thnigs up.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I saw a drop like that once where a guy ran a chain from the ceiling structure and hung the EMT off that. I think the chain was tie wrapped to the EMT.

Jim W in Tampa

he needs it at or before 3 feet or if he uses the exception 5 unboken feet.
And i don't think that would fly if the wall is few inches behind it.
Best buy that guy a codebook.

mcclary's electrical

he needs it at or before 3 feet or if he uses the exception 5 unboken feet.
And i don't think that would fly if the wall is few inches behind it.
Best buy that guy a codebook.

I agree,,,if the walls behind it, you definately put it at <3'. But if it's in mid air, you can get away with a brace at <5'.

glene77is

I agree,,,if the walls behind it, you definately put it at <3'. But if it's in mid air, you can get away with a brace at <5'.

Just how secure must this " brace at <5' " be ?
I have seen a simple uni-strut brace across half-dozen EMT risers,
all floating in mid-air, rising to a 24' roof truss.
I think there must be a uni-strut riser along with the EMT, secured at top and bottom, or braced off a wall.

Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.