Lighted Extension Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

Most of us are familiar with cord sets with integral voltage indicators in the female connector. Now they are available with that indicator in the male plug, and another in the female that indicates continuity of the equipment grounding conductor.

D17442025-orange_t.jpg

The person I spoke with confirmed that if three or so were connected, it would trip a GFCI, so maybe it is about 2ma on the EGC? I could not find any reference to a NRTL listing on their website, but it's a nice idea.

wptski

I bought one similiar to that at HD and had to return it. It wouldn't work with some sort-of tester/testing I was doing but I can't remember exactly what it was!:confused: It may have been a TDR.

cripple

Lighted Extension Cords

If you read UL Stranded 817 section 23.14 page 29 requires general use cord set to be provided with a tag that permanently affixed to the cord set, which prohibits daisy-chaining extension cord. The wording on the tag is required to read as following: Do Not Plug One Extension Cord Into Another.

mxslick

If you read UL Stranded 817 section 23.14 page 29 requires general use cord set to be provided with a tag that permanently affixed to the cord set, which prohibits daisy-chaining extension cord. The wording on the tag is required to read as following: Do Not Plug One Extension Cord Into Another.

Like anyone is gonna follow that instruction. :roll::grin: And I always cut off those pesky tags.

I chain extension cords and have never had any problems. UL has become a bit too CYA for their own good. :roll:

I know of a sparky who ordered cords in the hot pink..keeps the other trades from stealing them as they consider them to be to foo-foo. :)

kwired

Electron manager

Not really any point in owning more than one cord set (at least not more than one of the same size and length) now that we all know this information.:grin:

Buck Parrish

I cary a bunch of cords, I have them all over the site. I just make sure the contractor knows the last one to leave is to unplug all power to the site. Except for on commercial jobs of course we have night lights...
I've only had one cord stole in 18 years... Will see tommorow, though..:grin:
I write my name with a magic marker on oth ends.
Getting back to the original OP , I think the lighted ends are great, though costly...

TOOL_5150

I really REALLY hate the ridgid cords sold by home depot
The cord is awesome, the ends do not grab ahold of the outter jacket and ALWAYS seperate at both connectors after moderate use. I always take care of my cords too, I usually just cut the ends off when they do that and put on a hubbell cap and plug.

~Matt

kwired

Electron manager
Leave tools out in the sun a lot and you won't have any tools. :cool:

I do a lot of work on farms - I don't have much trouble with other trades stealing tools on these jobs, occasionally I have to watch what I leave laying around because some animal will take off with it, livestock or family pets. Other trades usually wait until you are away from your tool(s) young playful dogs will take them right out of your tool belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.