Concrete-Encased Electrodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgordon

Occupation
Electrician
Is there a minimum foundation size for the requirment of bonding the rebar?
RE: Additions.

pgordon

Occupation
Electrician
Iwire, When you say use it, do you mean additional bonding is required from the existing grounding electrode system? This is a new small addition with a new rebar foundation.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not speaking for Bob but all grounding electrodes present must be used therefore if the new addition has the 20' of 1/2" rebar in it, it must be connected to the existing grounding electrode system via #4 copper.

eprice

What must be done if you have a metal building that has individual footings for each column (all with re-bar, I think they are 6' square x 6' deep)?

With footings of that size, I would guess that they will each have at least 20' of rebar and would each qualify as a concrete encased electrode. However, per the last sentence of 250.52(A)(3), you would only be required to use one of them.

eprice

I'm not speaking for Bob but all grounding electrodes present must be used therefore if the new addition has the 20' of 1/2" rebar in it, it must be connected to the existing grounding electrode system via #4 copper.

One caveat, if by chance the existing structure has a concrete encased electrode and that electrode has been included in the existing grounding electrode system, then adding the new electrode into the system would not be required.

220/221

Is there a minimum foundation size for the requirment of bonding the rebar?
RE: Additions.

You don't need to bond the rebar. Typically the rebar is used as a ground.

If your electrical system is grounded (ground rods/CCE/water main), you are good.

If your system isn't grounded, you may want to use the new rebar (20' x 1/2") as a ufer ground.

pgordon

Occupation
Electrician
Ok , a 1970 new england home (ranch) with an existing service and an existing electrode system. we are contracted to provide wiring for a small addition with 20' of 1/2 '' rebar or more in its foundation, and a 200 amp service up grade. must i ground or bond the rebar of the new foundation ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ok , a 1970 new england home (ranch) with an existing service and an existing electrode system. we are contracted to provide wiring for a small addition with 20' of 1/2 '' rebar or more in its foundation, and a 200 amp service up grade. must i ground or bond the rebar of the new foundation ?

I believe the code would require you to bond it back to the service , however, many jurisdictions do not require you to do it. I would check with the inspector and see what they require.

Status
Not open for further replies.