Separate Computer Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

When designing something like a medical/office occupancy, or even in just an office, do you typically use dedicated computer circuits (just general computers), or do you just connect them with the other general receptacles in the area? Ive designed and seen it designed both ways, just wanted to get some opinions.

Sometimes I put about 5 computers on one circuit however that usually amounts to a lot of circuits.

masterinbama

How many computers total do you have? If they have 5 or more I try to sell them a separate panel with 1 large UPS. I can usually show them they will save money in the long run.

Bigrig

As a designer I try to keep receptacles serving computers seperate from the general receptacles. For instance, for small offices in a building I will have the circuit serving the receptacle at the desk and back wall seperate from the receptacle at the front of the office, as I would expect that receptacle to be used by housekeeping.

Npstewart

Im not 100% positive exactly how many yet but I know its at least 15+. Ive always designed them with separate circuits however sometimes I get a lot of flack from the EC when I do that. I appreciate everyones opinion, it seems the general consensus is to keep them on their own circuit if possible.

skeshesh

I agree with Bigrig. It depends on how much information you have. A lot of clients do hire an architect or space planner so you should get a hold of em and ask for a furniture layout. Most computers have something like a 400-500W power supply so I usually go 3 comps per circuit. The conv. receptacles go on seperate circuits as Bigrig suggested. The comments regarding seperate panelboards+UPS have some merit but ultimately it depends on the occupants requirement so talk to them about how critical their data storage and down time is.

Electric-Light

Definitely put photocopiers and laser printers on dedicated circuits. Keep them away from computer and lighting circuits. They have highly transient current draws, so they cause UPS to transfer or computers to crash and if you have lights on the same circuit, they will flicker.

Definitely put photocopiers and laser printers on dedicated circuits. Keep them away from computer and lighting circuits. They have highly transient current draws, so they cause UPS to transfer or computers to crash and if you have lights on the same circuit, they will flicker.

Funny, that never happens to my UPSs, even the underdesk ones (and, that's we have them, anyway). No, most desktop printers are just fine sharing with the computers. All of the offices I've been in recently had one set of 120v circuits. Larger laser printers -might- want dedicated circuits, and bog copies should have them, but that's because of the draw, not for isolation. The only reason I can think of otherwise for dedicated circuits is if there is machinery to isolate.

Lady Engineer

When designing something like a medical/office occupancy, or even in just an office, do you typically use dedicated computer circuits (just general computers), or do you just connect them with the other general receptacles in the area? Ive designed and seen it designed both ways, just wanted to get some opinions.

Sometimes I put about 5 computers on one circuit however that usually amounts to a lot of circuits.

I used a separate circuit, because I do give the PC a load of 300VA, but per code you're only require 180VA.

Anyone, else?

Volta

I limit circuits to two computers whenever possible. The last desktop power supply I changed (500 watts) had an input rating of 8 amps.
I used a separate circuit, because I do give the PC a load of 300VA, but per code you're only require 180VA.

Anyone, else?

That 180 VA is ok if you don't know the load served through that receptacle, but if the outlet is for a specific appliance, we need to use the actual ampere rating 220.14(A).

Lady Engineer

I limit circuits to two computers whenever possible. The last desktop power supply I changed (500 watts) had an input rating of 8 amps.

That 180 VA is ok if you don't know the load served through that receptacle, but if the outlet is for a specific appliance, we need to use the actual ampere rating 220.14(A).

That's true...but computers are very light in load, 250VA-300VA is very conservative. If I'm wiring a refrig, coffee maker, or copier, I will used the actual draw. I agree.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.