OSHA adopting of what version NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logical1

Years ago, I spoke with an OSHA representative and asked for an interpretation of what was the MINIMUM level of the NEC for EXISTING installations. If a building was built in 1925, what edition of the NEC is the minimum for OSHA compliance? I thought it was the 1975. My specific reference is if a building was built in 1967 with outdoor receptacles, are they required to be changed to comply with current OSHA regulations? I have code books back to 1968, so a specific code cycle would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.
Mark J.

480sparky

The minimum level of wiring required would be whatever the local authority had adopted at the time.

And it didn't need to be the NEC. It could have been some other standard, or something home-brewed.

......... If a building was built in 1925, ....... I thought it was the 1975. .................

That would be a pretty neat trick!

Logical1

My original question was in reference to a commercial installation. The discussion with the OSHA representative here in Alaska stated that OSHA and the NEC are one in the same. I took exception and the discussion evolved to a year of acceptance. The discussion took place when Alaska had their own State OSHA regs. We now defer to Federal OSHA. If this is incorrect, fine. I would just like a clarification.

Mark J.

pfalcon

My original question was in reference to a commercial installation. The discussion with the OSHA representative here in Alaska stated that OSHA and the NEC are one in the same. I took exception and the discussion evolved to a year of acceptance. The discussion took place when Alaska had their own State OSHA regs. We now defer to Federal OSHA. If this is incorrect, fine. I would just like a clarification.

Mark J.

This topic comes up a lot. The quick answer is OSHA is OSHA; not anything else.
NFPA70 "National Electrical Code" is not a part of OSHA. It is not even referenced by OSHA.
Many parts of NFPA70E y2004 have been lifted and written into OSHA but NFPA70E itself is not.
Further any "Included By Reference (IBR)" standards listed in OSHA only include those elements that are shalls and not mays.

You must find the federal (OSHA) sections that apply to your business. For mine it is:
OSHA Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) Part 1910 Subpart S and
OSHA Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) Part 1926 Subpart K and
Standards included by reference (IBR) in Part 1910.6

Then you must find the state sections that apply to your business. Again mine:
NFPA70 y2008 ?National Electrical Code? by authority of 675 IAC 17-1.8 Adopted by reference with exceptions effective Aug 26, 2009 (Indiana)

There may also be a state version of OSH such as "Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration (IOSHA)" that may have additional requirements.

There may also be local or state building codes that may apply as well.

Bottom line: Your OSHA representative owes you lunch over this one. Your state may have NEC requirements but the feds don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.