LV in cabinet drawer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKE

I have a client that wants to put her laptop computer into a drawer (in kitchen island) and be able to charge it. I am not comfortable with installing 120v inside drawer, so my thought was to only have 12v inside drawer when it is closed. I would modify her charger so the transformer was in a cabinet behind the drawer. Is there a connector or device of some sort that once the drawer shuts it sends the 12v into the drawer, but when opened it disconnects from 12v. I am trying to avoid a wire being bound up and/or damaged behind the drawer while being opened and shut.

iwire

Staff member
I would put a 120 VAC outlet in the drawer with a section of well placed SJ cord supplying it. I would feel better about that than modifying equipment.

mxslick

I agree with Bob.

And remember: if you modify her adapter and something goes wrong with the computer, guess who's gonna get blamed?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can you install one of these between the drawers and have the back end in the adjacent cabinet (if there is one)?

scrw-face-cutout.jpg
scrw-profile-cutout.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Most laptop supplies have low-voltage wire, and don't have the 120v cord plugging directly into the body.

I'd just mount a receptacle in the back of the cabinet, and drape the LV wire over the drawer's back panel.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I have a client that wants to put her laptop computer into a drawer (in kitchen island) and be able to charge it.

Is that really a good idea? The adaptors generate heat and I might be a little concerned having one stashed in a drawer while charging a battery.

PKE

The drawer is very tight with 1/4" space between back of drawer and adjacent cabinet when shut. There would need to be some major modifications to adjacent cabinet if 120v receptacle is put in drawer.

I just thought if there were a magnet in back of drawer and it lined up with another magnet in back, it would make sure the drawer shut tight. Once it was shut there were some sort of contact that would allow the 12v to flow into the drawer. Using a male to female scenario is out due to tolerances. If there were two sets of magnets in back separated; each had terminals of some sort, would the 12v flow thru the magnets?

Cutting the cord on the charger after the transformer would not be major modification.

IMM_Doctor

I understand that the "customer is king", and you are trying to bend over backwards to meet her WANTS, but I would NOT do anything to promote her plan to stow a laptop in an enclosed drawer during charging.

Laptop batteries get hot during charging, and her owners manual for the laptop itself will have all kinds of warnings indicating that PLENTY and AMPLE ventilation be provided around the laptop.

The trapped heat in the drawer will also lead to premature death of the laptop itself.

We all laugh at the stupid warning labels attached to hair dryers and toasters, and wonder, why does the manufacturer post such silly common sense warnings on thier equipment?.... well.... "here's you sign".

Fung shwei?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The drawer is very tight with 1/4" space between back of drawer and adjacent cabinet when shut. There would need to be some major modifications to adjacent cabinet if 120v receptacle is put in drawer.
I was talking about a receptacle below the drawer, maybe in the back wall of the cabinet. It could even be surface mounted.

1/4" is plenty big enough for every laptop power supply's cord I've seen. The transformer would lay in back of the cabinet.

PKE

I was talking about a receptacle below the drawer, maybe in the back wall of the cabinet. It could even be surface mounted.

1/4" is plenty big enough for every laptop power supply's cord I've seen. The transformer would lay in back of the cabinet.

I know that it would most likely be ok, I was just trying to come up with a new way to do it. I like to come up with options for my clients, that is why I get paid a premium and have stayed busy. If its 12v, then its poses little or no hazard. If she wants to burn up her computer batteries then let her (money is not an issue). I just thought there would be something on the market already, I just have not found it yet. I appreciate all the cautions, but why not go the extra effort?

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
If I were your customer I would appreciate the warnings that it may not be such a good idea. If she still wants to proceed that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.