a/c condensor breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentp

Is anyone familiar with "breakers" that are integral to an air conditioning condensing unit? The one I've seen is a breaker with 3 handles on the "breaker" and a handle tie joining them. Each handle is marked with 67. It is tripping. I've never seen anything like this and am curious as to what I'm even looking at. Looks more like a drum switch than a breaker.

I'm a new construction guy and rarely get involved with these issues as mechanical equipment is usually under warranty. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Brent

brentp

Jim...I didn't even think to take a pic. I"ll try and make it back that direction to get one. This has really got my curiosity going.

Brent

cadpoint

Article 440 is where one wants to start reading. The breaker for A/C equipment are beefier to handle the loads. It is a different load that needs to be address to exactly what the component it.

I looked in the Index(maybe I missed it) a condensor is not listed in the Index of the Code Book, but you can get a sure grip from reading around in Article 440 on...

My guess is the 67 was left to state what the amp draw was when it was put in and read! :) And it's just a wild guess at that.

There's nothing wrong with pin wired tied breakers, or 50's looking throw the switch type handles... :)

The breakers are working which in itself is a good thing to understand why there tripping; there could be a whole volume of testing that could be done, one of which is isolating the wires and megg'n them. Age of unit, enviroment,
you name it could be the cause.

You can research here using Search or advance search to various terms and words to isolate down to a stated subject matter.

Once you know all of the stated technical data of the existing Motor / Condensor, go and search the I-Net for exact make and model, cut sheet Techno-data that exists. It'll be usefull...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Could it be the overload protection-- heaters????

I would put an ampmeter on the load and see if the unit is drawing more than it should. If not you may have a bad breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.