What is the techincal name for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drews77

What is the techincal for lost of one phase of a 3-phase system? From time-to-time a phase of the power pole is loss and 1/3 of a building power is lost. When a piece of 3 phase equipment (such as a motor) is running with one phase out, what is the name for that situation???

jbelectric777

He may be referring to an "open delta" ? When a delta connected system loses a phase to a building or other structure the load can continue to be served but at only 60%

raider1

Staff member
When a piece of 3 phase equipment (such as a motor) is running with one phase out, what is the name for that situation???

I have always referred that situation as "single phasing", but I don't know if that is the technical term for the situation.

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
He may be referring to an "open delta" ? When a delta connected system loses a phase to a building or other structure the load can continue to be served but at only 60%
When you lose one transformer of a 3 phase delta bank, you can continue to provide power at about 60%. When you lose a phase you can't supply power to 3 phase equipment.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What is the techincal for lost of one phase of a 3-phase system? From time-to-time a phase of the power pole is loss and 1/3 of a building power is lost. When a piece of 3 phase equipment (such as a motor) is running with one phase out, what is the name for that situation???
"Phase loss" as in phase loss detection and protection in monitoring 3? fire suppression equipment.

Volta

Drews, welcome to the forum. Technical or not, as others have said, 'single-phasing' is the common verb version, 'lost a phase' is the common descriptive complaint.

It might be that one 'phase leg', as I like to call the individual (usually) ungrounded conductors, has become disconnected after the transformers, or that an entire phase winding (between two {or more} legs) is no longer producing a voltage.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It sounds like the OP is asking about losing a line conductor. I believe our industry has managed to interchange the word Line (or Hot) with the word Phase, somewhere along the line forgetting that a 'phase' is a relationship not a single entity.

For the moment, ignoring any neutral conductor:
Two "line conductors" will provide (1) Line-Line voltage, which can easily be called 'single-phase'.
Three "line conductors" will provide (3) Line-Line voltages, which can be called 'three-phase'.

As I have stated many times, I see little, to no advantage, but lots of disadvantages for making the 'number of phases' dependent on the presence or absence of a neutral connection and the resultant L-N voltages.

mivey

It might be that one 'phase leg', as I like to call the individual (usually) ungrounded conductors, has become disconnected after the transformers, or that an entire phase winding (between two {or more} legs) is no longer producing a voltage.
The single-phasing condition can occur on the secondary or primary side of the transformer. It makes a difference as to how the motor is connected and if the source transformer is wye/delta (or delta/wye).

With the loss of one phase on the secondary side, the motor can have two phases with 173% current and one phase with 0% current. Then, a delta-connected motor will experience normal current in two windings and 200% current in the winding opposite from the lost phase. A wye-connected motor will experience 173% current in two windings and 0% current in the winding with the lost phase.

With one phase lost on the primary side of a wye-delta source, the current to the motor can be 115% on two phases and 230% on the third phase.

It is common practice for the utility industry to call each primary conductor of a three-phase system with a multi-grounded neutral a phase. A line with 2 primary conductors and one neutral is referred to as 2-phase or "v"-phase. This recognizes that a load or winding can be connected line-neutral in addition to line-line. A line-neutral voltage can be a phase in the same manner that a line-line voltage can be a phase. Any voltage is defined by the relationship between two points (a designated point and its reference).

That being said, if you just have a delta system (no neutral) and lose one conductor, you are left with only two conductors (two points). Since a voltage is defined by the relationship between two points, this leaves you with one voltage and thus one phase (back-feeding, etc being ignored in this context).

Status
Not open for further replies.