switched recepticles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am studying to get my electrical license in Ill. one question I can not find the answer to is- Recepticle controlled by wall switch not permitted in______. Maybe I am not looking in the correct article in the code book Please help with what article i should be looking in so I can find the answer I really dont like for others to just give the answer I learn better when I look it up my self but after three hours of trying I admit I cant do it myself. Thanks in advance for any and all help

Volta

It is not actually a violation to have them, but in those areas they can't be used as the wall-switched lighting outlets required by 210.70(A)(1).

KevinB, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you know that many tests are looking for the expected answer, not necessarily the answer that is 100% correct to all interpretations. I think ActionDave pointed you to the expected answer.

For instance, in a kitchen, no one would think that if you installed a receptacle for a disposal unit that it would be a violation to control it with a wall switch. But mosts tests will have questions that shouldn't be overthought. ;)

Good luck!

kwired

Electron manager
I am studying to get my electrical license in Ill. one question I can not find the answer to is- Recepticle controlled by wall switch not permitted in______. Maybe I am not looking in the correct article in the code book Please help with what article i should be looking in so I can find the answer I really dont like for others to just give the answer I learn better when I look it up my self but after three hours of trying I admit I cant do it myself. Thanks in advance for any and all help

I hate when I hear about test questions like this, The whole point of the test is to see if the person taking the test knows how to use the code, understands the laws in the jurisdiction where testing, and sometimes some basic electricity concepts.

Trick questions or ones that do not have a definite right answer should be excluded from the tests. Licensee's will have plenty of opportunity to hash out the trick questions and the ones that have no definite right answer in the field after getting their license. That is also what we do on this forum.

switchedrecptacles

switchedrecptacles

Volta thanks for the encouragement. My biggest problem so far has been to over think a lot of the questions on the practice tests that the instructor gives, but as time passes I am getting better. It has been almost 40 years since I was in school and had to take tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.