Original Flourescent dwgs dated 1939

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

While studying a Museum's original documents preparing for a electrical project, I stumbled across this verbage on one of the old delicate drawings....the drawing was drawn in November of 1939.

We are rewiring a portion of this museum, and alot of it is still original believe it or not.

The verbage was in reguard to lighting specs in museum display cases that were to be built. The spec's verbage reads...

"Two Lamp 60 cycle Auxilary in Accordance with Latest issue of Mazda Lamp Manufacturers Specifications for Flourescent Lamp. Auxiliary to Supply One Lamp with Voltage Appro. 90deg Out of Phase with Voltage Supplied to other Lamp to Reduce Flicker."
drawn by R.L. Brown 11-23-39

OK....So Ole Mule didnt have a clue that Flourescent lighting was that old....SO...I did a little research on the net.....and here's what I found.

Here's the Patent info
According to The GE Fluorescent Lamp Pioneers, "On Oct 14, 1941 U.S. Patent No. 2,259,040 was issued to George E. Inman; the filing date was Apr 22, 1936. It has generally been regarded as the foundation patent. However, some companies were working on the lamp at the same time as GE and some individuals had already filed for patents. GE strengthened its position when it purchased a German patent that preceded Inman's. GE paid $180,000 for U.S. Patent No 2,182,732 that had been issued to Friedrich Meyer, Hans J. Spanner and Edmund Germer. While one might argue the real inventor of the fluorescent lamp, it is clear that GE was the first to introduce it."

Also found this while searching for the Mazda lamp manufactures.

Fluorescent lamps were introduced at the 1939 World's Fairs in both New York and San Francisco. The introduction heralded a new light source of high efficiency, low glare, long life, and a new physical dimension.

Fluorescent tubular lighting systems were first made by Andr... See More? Claude, inventor of the neon sign, in France in 1932. Under the Mazda lamp agreement, Westinghouse and General Electric obtained Mr. Claude's patent rights and developed the fluorescent lamp we know today.

After incandescents, fluorescent lamps are the second most common light source. They are used in industrial and commercial buildings, producing about two-thirds of our nation's illumination.

Fluorescent lamps are categorized by their size, shape, and operating characteristics. They are also defined by their operating circuit. Keep in mind that identifying a lamp includes both of these approaches.

Ok this is boring stuff, but I've stumbled on to some electrical history here and only you guys at this forum might have a interest....haha...hope you enjoyed !

"Keep yur yeller's tight, and you'll have a bright light".......Mule

Status
Not open for further replies.