NFPA 72, OSHA, and service companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switcher

How are you guys in the service industry handling NFPA 72 on service calls to check a tripped breaker in a single phase 200a panel?

raider1

Staff member
Do you mean NFPA 70E instead of NFPA 72?

NFPA 72 is the fire alarm code.

NFPA 70E is the Standard for electrical safety in the workplace.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Not a problem.

Are you asking about the PPE requirements of 70E or about 130.6(K) the section of 70E that deals with reclosing the circuit protective device after the breaker trips?

Chris

Switcher

well both really, i am wondering what risk i have from fines or other penalties if one of my guys gets injured and he doesnt have proper ppe or i dont have documentation for training or providing ppe.

raider1

Staff member
OHSA requires that the employer provide the employees with the training and proper PPE to safely perform the task.

Chris

zog

OHSA requires that the employer provide the employees with the training and proper PPE to safely perform the task.

Chris

Right, and they need to adhere to this OSHA requirement when doing this task.

1910.334(b)(2) "Reclosing circuits after protective device operation." After a circuit is deenergized by a circuit protective device, the circuit protective device, the circuit may not be manually reenergized until it has been determined that the equipment and circuit can be safely energized. The repetitive manual reclosing of circuit breakers or reenergizing circuits through replaced fuses is prohibited.

Note: When it can be determined from the design of the circuit and the overcurrent devices involved that the automatic operation of a device was caused by an overload rather than a fault condition, no examination of the circuit or connected equipment is needed before the circuit is reenergized.

WILD BILL

nfpa 72e

nfpa 72e

This requires a arch analyst done to determind what class of saftey clothing is needed.Our company works in various industrial sites and was wondering if there was any other contractors that has impemented this in ther company, if so how do you handle your employees wearing this type clothing all the time or suite up when nessary?

zog

This requires a arch analyst done to determind what class of saftey clothing is needed.Our company works in various industrial sites and was wondering if there was any other contractors that has impemented this in ther company, if so how do you handle your employees wearing this type clothing all the time or suite up when nessary?

You need to justify any energized work and fill out an EEWP. You PPE choices will depend on the specifics of your job. I suggest you read the safety FAQ's in this section.

wtucker

well both really, i am wondering what risk i have from fines or other penalties if one of my guys gets injured and he doesnt have proper ppe or i dont have documentation for training or providing ppe.

What you SHOULD be wondering is, If one of my guys gets seriously injured because I didn't provide proper PPE, how am I going to live with myself? Or maybe, After my guy collects workers' comp for his permanent disability, how much will his wife sue me for for loss of consortium? Or, If one of my guys gets seriously hurt, and OSHA cites me for a wilfull violation and fines me the maximum $70,000, how will I explain that to the commercial customer who's got a $1M job, but first wants to know whether I've ever had a serious, willfull or repeated violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.