bidding Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm a little guy. I get lots of bid invitations from a free Blue Book listing. Most I discard, as I get them only a week or so before bid is due, or job is too far away. I have bid a few that were doable, have gotten none of the jobs. My computer won't do decent size prints from online plan rooms, so I have to print them at Kinko's or order prints, check out permit costs in various nearby cities, etc. These are often small retail spots in malls, etc. Work I do well and like doing. But the bidding process is so tedious and somewhat costly, I'm not sure it's worth doing. I don't have anyone else to help on this. Guys I pull in for help sometimes are not experienced at this either.

Anyone else thinking this way?

mcclary's electrical

I'm a little guy. I get lots of bid invitations from a free Blue Book listing. Most I discard, as I get them only a week or so before bid is due, or job is too far away. I have bid a few that were doable, have gotten none of the jobs. My computer won't do decent size prints from online plan rooms, so I have to print them at Kinko's or order prints, check out permit costs in various nearby cities, etc. These are often small retail spots in malls, etc. Work I do well and like doing. But the bidding process is so tedious and somewhat costly, I'm not sure it's worth doing. I don't have anyone else to help on this. Guys I pull in for help sometimes are not experienced at this either.

Anyone else thinking this way?

I notice the same thing. I don't know why they wait until one week until closing date to ask for a bid,,,,but they do. It happens so often, I think they do it in hopes that you miss something. I have spent an entire weekend 2 days straight bidding a job that often you don't get.

480sparky

I notice the same thing. I don't know why they wait until one week until closing date to ask for a bid,,,,but they do. It happens so often, I think they do it in hopes that you miss something. I have spent an entire weekend 2 days straight bidding a job that often you don't get.

X2. I've gotten invitations to bid 15 minutes before closing.

I've also gotten "all the documents you need to bid" faxed to me. Image: full-size prints shrunk down to 8?x11, then faxed. I end up with sheets of paper with lines, dots, squares and circles on them. Then the wonder why they never got a bid.

I think most of them are bid shopping. They're already received bids, so they have a price that they can work with.... they're just trying to find someone who is cheaper so they can pocket the difference.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think most of them are bid shopping. They're already received bids, so they have a price that they can work with.... they're just trying to find someone who is cheaper so they can pocket the difference.
I do the same thing shopping for materials once I've won a job based on my original prices.

Does that make me evil?

mcclary's electrical

X2. I've gotten invitations to bid 15 minutes before closing.

I've also gotten "all the documents you need to bid" faxed to me. Image: full-size prints shrunk down to 8?x11, then faxed. I end up with sheets of paper with lines, dots, squares and circles on them. Then the wonder why they never got a bid.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I have a lighted magnifying glass for that situation. It's a horrible way to bid.:mad:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I did just get an ITB on an apt rennovation. I made sure I didn't have any lead paint issues and I will bid this one. Would be a good job to get.

Still cost me about $20 at Kinko's printed out on 11x17 paper. Would be about 40 on full size. Last prints I ordered cost about 28.

Wish I could figure out getting supply houses to pay me for lists for them to price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.