Article 518 - Assembly Occupancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Having a problem with a project that I just finished. The electrical inspector is requiring that all the wiring/receptacles be replaced due to section 518.

This was formerly supposed to be a warehouse/office, now it is going to be an assembly occupancy.

I dont really understand this section, and I don't have an official inspection report. Anyone have any experience with this article?

Thanks

Npstewart

This is about the 3rd time I heard reference to this article. I don't understand it because it doesen't really offer anything.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
This is about the 3rd time I heard reference to this article. I don't understand it because it doesen't really offer anything.

You're right, it doesn't offer much. But it does limit the acceptable types of wiring methods.

What's the existing wiring method that the inspector wants replaced?

haskindm

Look at 518.4 wiring methods. You will need to install one of the wiring methods in this section. If you wired the area with type NM cable it will need to be replaced. The receptacles should be fine, but the wiring to the receptacles will probably need to be replaced. Could prove to be a big job...

Status
Not open for further replies.