240 volt gfci that comes with the hot tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Hot tub guy tells me "you can't have the ground and the neutral touching on the same bar in the main, or the gfci wont work. you need to drive a ground rod, so there not in parallel" Anyone hear of this problem?:-?

iwire

Staff member
If the hot tub is off on it's own and has a feeder supplying it grounding electrodes are required .......... of course that has nothing to do with the GFCI.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the hot tub is off on it's own and has a feeder supplying it grounding electrodes are required .......... of course that has nothing to do with the GFCI.

That would be my interpretation also, however all one needs to do is put the disco on the building, assuming you are less than 50 feet from the tub and in sight then it is a branch circuit and no electrodes are necessary. How silly huh?

zappy

That would be my interpretation also, however all one needs to do is put the disco on the building, assuming you are less than 50 feet from the tub and in sight then it is a branch circuit and no electrodes are necessary. How silly huh?

I wire scared me for a second. Then I read your post. Ahhhh:grin: Thanks guys.

iwire

Staff member
It all depends if there is a feeder or branch circuit running to the hot tub.

If the feeder runs all the way to the hot tub you would need electrodes.

zappy

It all depends if there is a feeder or branch circuit running to the hot tub.

If the feeder runs all the way to the hot tub you would need electrodes.

Can you point me to the code sections please. Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can you point me to the code sections please. Thank you.

Zappy, read art. 250.32(A) then read the exception.

250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s).
(A) Grounding Electrode. Building(s) or structure(s) supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding electrode or grounding electrode system installed in accordance with Part III of Article 250. The grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance with 250.32(B) or (C). Where there is no existing grounding electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in 250.50 shall be installed.
Exception: A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non?current-carrying metal parts of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.