Trouble shooting customer shocked at hose bib

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scenario description:
The customer stated that when she touches the hose bib in bare feet she gets shocked.
There are 3 buildings on this property with all meters for the three buildings being at the side wall of the main house
Building 1
Building 2
Building 3

There is a pad mounted transformer installed 50? to the left of the main house. Service to the main house is 400 AMP service. Connected to the main house meter is a 200 AMP meter with service delivering power to the garage apartment. Service to the pool house is a 200 AMP service from pad mounted transformer.

NOW TESTING
1. With power on the results were as follows:
? GARAGE APARTMENT
o Hose bib to dry asphalt 0 volts
o Hose bib to wet asphalt 32 volts
? MAIN HOUSE
o Hose bib in area of meter 0 volts
o Hose bib to earth 32 volts
o hose bib to ground rod 0 volts
o hose bib to metal meter box 0 volts
o Hose bib to neutral connection in
electric meter 0 volts

2. Turn off all power by pulling the meters out of the pool house, garage apartment and main house. I turned off main breakers in the main house.
? GARAGE APARTMENT
o Hose bib to dry asphalt 0 volts
o Hose bib to wet asphalt 0 volts
? MAIN HOUSE
o Hose bib in area of meter 0 volts
o Hose bib to earth 0 volts
o hose bib to ground rod 0 volts
o hose bib to metal meter box 0 volts
o Hose bib to neutral connection in
electric meter 0 volts

3. Reinstalling the meters in the following order I received the following results:
? Meter for the Garage Apartment was reinstalled and a reading of 0 volts from hose bib to earth at the main house.
? Meter for the Pool house read 8.5 Volts from hose bib at house to earth.
? Main house circuit breakers were closed. The reading at the Hose bib at house climbs to 32 volts.
? After reinstallation of all meters were completed, the Fluke meter leads were pushed into the ground about 6? apart and voltage read was 29. This was done in the electric meter location.

Of Note: During the testing phase, a contractor repairing the on-site sanitary system damaged the direct burial cable that ran from the meter location to the garage apartment. With the meter pulled, I repaired the damaged cable and during that repair the following was occurring:
To repair the cable, I spliced the cable and installed two underground connectors and a small jumper. I was getting shocked from both the meter and garage sides of the neutral conductor, prior to power being restored.

Any ideas? Am I overlooking anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.