service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle126

I'm upgrading an existing 100 amp service with the meter inside and the panel 30 feet away from the meter with a 200 amp service with the meter outside and the panel 35 feet away. I understand that i need to install a meter with a circuit breaker and understand my grounding electrode needs to originate in the meter enclosure because it is know considered the main. I understand that my panel is know a subpanel and i need a 4-wire, my question is that this is a very large house and i'm going to need 2, 42 circuit electrical panels, i do not think i can tap off of the first subpanel and install another subpanel. Can someone let me know what all my options are. Thanks Mike P

mcclary's electrical

I'm upgrading an existing 100 amp service with the meter inside and the panel 30 feet away from the meter with a 200 amp service with the meter outside and the panel 35 feet away. I understand that i need to install a meter with a circuit breaker and understand my grounding electrode needs to originate in the meter enclosure because it is know considered the main. I understand that my panel is know a subpanel and i need a 4-wire, my question is that this is a very large house and i'm going to need 2, 42 circuit electrical panels, i do not think i can tap off of the first subpanel and install another subpanel. Can someone let me know what all my options are. Thanks Mike P

Welcome to the forum. In your case, I would either make it a 320 and run (2) 200 amp panels,,,,or,,,if your load cals are under 200 amps, the first panel can be a feed thru panel and run straight to another 200 amp ML panel

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You can add a "sub-panel" fed from the first panel as long as the conductors feeding the sub-panel and the sub-panel are properly protetced.
In you case if the 2nd sub-panel is a 42 circuit 200 amp panel and you feed it from a 200 amp breaker or sub-feed lug kit from the 1st panel, as long as your conductors are rated 200 amp all is o.k.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Or, make the first ML panel the major-appliance and major systems panel, and supply from that a lighting/refrigeration M/L panel for use as a generator-load panel, through a T/S now or later.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
i'm going to need 2, 42 circuit electrical panels, i do not think i can tap off of the first subpanel and install another subpanel. Can someone let me know what all my options are. Thanks Mike P

You can feed two subpanels off of the same feeder. Just did one like that this last week. I can make you a screen shot of the Engineers drawings.

I have two HOM40L200C panels fed by one feeder. We installed a HOML2225 in the original to feed the new panel and used the same size wire as the original feeders.

Eagle126

Service upgrade

Service upgrade

Thanks for the responces, I am going with the 200 amp 60 circuit SQ D panel. Didn't know they made a panel that size. I have 3 more questions, The existing service has an LB entering the house 6 inches below grade is that legal. Also i noticed inside the existing panel there are branch circuits that are not long enough to make it to the breakers and there are wirenuts, can i do the same by code, also is it legal to sleeve SER cable threw a 1 foot piece of pvc so that pvc is outside and SER is inside. Thanks Again. Mike P

mcclary's electrical

Thanks for the responces, I am going with the 200 amp 60 circuit SQ D panel. Didn't know they made a panel that size. I have 3 more questions, The existing service has an LB entering the house 6 inches below grade is that legal. Also i noticed inside the existing panel there are branch circuits that are not long enough to make it to the breakers and there are wirenuts, can i do the same by code, also is it legal to sleeve SER cable threw a 1 foot piece of pvc so that pvc is outside and SER is inside. Thanks Again. Mike P

You'd better make sure you're on 08 if you do that. It's illegal under 05(42 circuit rule). Yes, The lb is illegal below grade, yes, you can wire nut all you want inside the service panel, and the SER can be sleeved, but it does not have to be sleeved to pass through brick or block, only if you want to.

Eagle126

Service upgrade

Service upgrade

You can call granite city electric in wilmington,mass for more info on the 200 amp 60 circuit panel. Also i was wondering if since i need to install a meter with a disconnect switch outside, and running 4 conductor to the panel can i install the panel without a main breaker? Thanks Again Mike P

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also i was wondering if since i need to install a meter with a disconnect switch outside, and running 4 conductor to the panel can i install the panel without a main breaker?
Absolutely, but don't be surprised if you don't save much money. Buying a main-breaker panel can be the cheapest way to buy a replacement main breaker.

Eagle126

I see know i can install a subpanel in my situation with out a main breaker, why would it be cheaper to install a panel with a main breaker? Thanks Mike P

mcclary's electrical

I see know i can install a subpanel in my situation with out a main breaker, why would it be cheaper to install a panel with a main breaker? Thanks Mike P

Supply an demand. Thay sell a huge amount of MB 200 loadcenters.

Often, a ML panel of the same manufacturer will be the same cost or slightly more, amd customers like the convenience of the main, even if not required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It depends but generally speaking a MLO is cheaper than a MB panel. It depends on what is the common item that is stocked at your supply company.

I can buy a 200 amp mb panel much cheaper than I can buy a 150 amp MLO panel simply because they don't stock 150 amp panels.

If you need 2- 42 cir panels are you sure that a 200 amp service is adequate?

Eagle126

Most definitely, even though it is a big house, all the appliances are gas,there's no central air conditioning, no electric heat, there's two older couple who live there,I'm also going to install 1-60 circuit, 200 amp panel instead of 2- 42, circuit panels. Thanks Mike P

Eagle126

Service Upgrade

Service Upgrade

My 200 amp service is going to consist of a 20 foot straight run up from the meter socket to the weather head, i'm running 2 inch pvc pipe. Do i need to install an expansion fitting?Do i need to install it in a specific location along the run? If not when would i need to install one? Thanks Again Mike P

mcclary's electrical

My 200 amp service is going to consist of a 20 foot straight run up from the meter socket to the weather head, i'm running 2 inch pvc pipe. Do i need to install an expansion fitting?Do i need to install it in a specific location along the run? If not when would i need to install one? Thanks Again Mike P

\

AS long as you use the right straps, you will not need an expansion fitting on a weatherhead.

YOu only need them in between two rigid points,like two boxes, in your case, the pipe will expand, the weatherhead will raise up 1/2" or so, and that will work just fine.

Eagle126

service upgrade

How about if my pvc pipe went up 20 feet and over 5 feet to the weatherhead, would i need a expansion fitting then? Thanks Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.