welder cord& pug disc. means

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevlander

We have several 480v 1 phase welders being factory supplied with rubber cord, but NO plug. Is a welder an appliance? Can it have a cord and plug as the main disc. means? Does the answer change if it has or hasn't an intergral on/off switch? Can the welder's cord terminate directly into a wall mounted disconnect switch? I believe NEC 400.7 allows a plug, but I am not convinced that article 630.13 will allow it as the sole disc. means? Thanks

plugman

Options available

Options available

As others on this site have mentioned, Meltric supplies a plug and receptacle that is also UL listed as a disconnect switch. Welding receptacles is a very common application for these devices as they allow a safe way to make and break a connection, even under full load conditions.

sevlander

OK the Meltric plug looks awesome and the cleanest design solution, BUT does the NEC 630.13 require it? It looks like a very expensive option. If the welder has no factory installed disconnecting means, it appears a cord & plug is not allowed as the sole disconnecting means.

1. Can we just mount a disconnect switch ahead of the receptacle?

2. Can the factory cord wire directly into the disc. switch without a receptacle?

Cost as always factors into the design & this project has hundreds of welders. Also they are in permanent booths and do not require unplugging unless repair is required. Your suggestions and comments are much appreciated

Jim W in Tampa

OK the Meltric plug looks awesome and the cleanest design solution, BUT does the NEC 630.13 require it? It looks like a very expensive option. If the welder has no factory installed disconnecting means, it appears a cord & plug is not allowed as the sole disconnecting means.

1. Can we just mount a disconnect switch ahead of the receptacle?

2. Can the factory cord wire directly into the disc. switch without a receptacle?

Cost as always factors into the design & this project has hundreds of welders. Also they are in permanent booths and do not require unplugging unless repair is required. Your suggestions and comments are much appreciated

Cords can not be used as permanent wiring methods
The lack of a plug does not mean it is not to be a plug in . Look at most ranges and dryers, they come without cords because they are not a stanard one type fits all.
Follow the instructions as to how to connect

sevlander

Thanks, That is how I believed it was, but there was some debate as to the interpertation of uses allowed in 400.7 for cords. Where is it specifically stated that it must terminate in a plug or cannot be used for permanent wiring?

RUWired

Thanks, That is how I believed it was, but there was some debate as to the interpertation of uses allowed in 400.7 for cords. Where is it specifically stated that it must terminate in a plug or cannot be used for permanent wiring?

400.7B states that an attachment shall be used with 400.7A3,6 and 8.

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
At GM we use an interlocking disconnect, where there must be a cord plugged (male) into the socket at the bottom (female end) of the disconnect before the disconnect handle will operate. There is also a spring loaded cap cover on the female end. I can't state where it says it is required, but at $1,800.00 for a 60 amp disconnect/weld plug, I doubt they are doing it "because".

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
At GM we use an interlocking disconnect, where there must be a cord plugged (male) into the socket at the bottom (female end) of the disconnect before the disconnect handle will operate. There is also a spring loaded cap cover on the female end. I can't state where it says it is required, but at $1,800.00 for a 60 amp disconnect/weld plug, I doubt they are doing it "because".

Upon further thought, 29 CFR 1910.305 (g)(A-L) cover the cord usage. Long story short, unless you move the units every week or so run the conduit, bite the bullet and put in the disconnects unless each welder has its own disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.