Remote Structure - Telephone pole and pedestal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needing clarity on a remote disconnect concept here. Have searched the forums and found somewhat similar question but not anything that hits the nail on the head.

Basic Facts :
Assume a TPole and a pedestal both have Main disconnects established at their respective locations.

Both the TPole and pedestals are installed remote to the residence - 100 ft + and sometimes much greater. POCO has no interest in what happens after overhead drop to the meter.

Question 1 : Are Tpoles & pedestals considered a remote structure by Article 100 thus requiring another disconnect once the feeder lands at the residence

Question 2 : If they are not considered remote structures , and main is installed at Tpole or pedestal (regardless of distance away from main structure) and entrance panel at house is considered sub, is a secondary main required at the house sub if panel is over 6 OCPs

Concern : having a tough time believing the intent of NEC and 225 sections is that HO's may have to traipse through the woods or worse to find a main disconnect in the dark of night and storm out at a Tpole or pedestal.

Appreciate feedback ..

kwired

Electron manager
Needing clarity on a remote disconnect concept here. Have searched the forums and found somewhat similar question but not anything that hits the nail on the head.

Basic Facts :
Assume a TPole and a pedestal both have Main disconnects established at their respective locations.

Both the TPole and pedestals are installed remote to the residence - 100 ft + and sometimes much greater. POCO has no interest in what happens after overhead drop to the meter.

Question 1 : Are Tpoles & pedestals considered a remote structure by Article 100 thus requiring another disconnect once the feeder lands at the residence

Question 2 : If they are not considered remote structures , and main is installed at Tpole or pedestal (regardless of distance away from main structure) and entrance panel at house is considered sub, is a secondary main required at the house sub if panel is over 6 OCPs

Concern : having a tough time believing the intent of NEC and 225 sections is that HO's may have to traipse through the woods or worse to find a main disconnect in the dark of night and storm out at a Tpole or pedestal.

Appreciate feedback ..

I am confused. Is there telephone equipment located on the pole and pedestal you are describing or are they strictly electrical equipment structures?

I hate when people say telephone pole - most of the time it is an electrical pole. Most telephone lines are underground the exception may be older areas in cities.

I understand your question .. Hopefully this clarifies.

Tpole - Was originally for telephone. ( This is in the country - all over head in this remote area ) Once residence was built, it became used for Power and meter was set on pole along with main panel & disconnect installed below meter. From the pole , electric service ( and for that matter telephone - in separate conduit) is run underground to the structure.

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
If POCO does not care what is past their overhead drop, I would not put anything on the pole except for lateral to the house, you can put the meter on the pole or the house (POCO may have some say on location of meter).

Until you actually hit the first overcurrent device whatever it may be it is all service equipment, After that first overcurrent device you have feeders or branch circuits.

All separate structures still need a main disconnect (or up to six grouped together) in or on (sometimes near is acceptable) the structure.

Kwired,

The heart of the my original question was : is the Tpole or pedestal considered a remote structure.

Your answer seems to indicate you feel they are remote thus requiring another means of disconnect if exceeding 6 rule.

The follow up for clarity is based on your response ( "sometimes" which I read to mean "somewhere near" ) the structure which goes to the heart of the my concern and question base after my posted question #1 was answered ( is a Tpole and pedestal considered remote ) .

The relevant NEC sections do not seem to specify a linear distance on how far or close the disconnect to the structure must be placed and electricians and inspectors alike seem to be real confused as to how far this separation can actually be ( where the main disconnect at a remote structure needs to be placed in relationship to physical building ) thus we find them 100 ft away and installers claiming to be compliant . Response is always there is no listed distance that prohibits the length specifically ( what is at or near and what defines near ).

My original post may have been more effective if I had requested guidance towards an NEC section that specifically references an allowable distance ( if it exists ) that i have yet to be able to pinpoint.

Thanks .

kwired

Electron manager
I understand the confusion of somewhere near, and I also believe it is subject to conditions on each installation.

I don't think a disconnect for a building or structure located 100 feet away qualifies as a disconnect for said building or structure in most any case check art. 100 definitions of "in sight from"

The only section that I know of that clearly allows a disconnect to be located remotely from the building it serves is 550.32 which applies to mobile homes - you can not be more than 30 feet away from the mobile home being served.

Otherwise in or on the structure is the general rule and the "sometimes near" is subject to interpretation. Immediately adjacent to equipment being supplied is usually not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.