MC in Agri Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Art 547.5(A) starts out by stating: (A) Wiring Systems. Types UF, NMC, copper SE cables, jacketed Type MC cable, rigid nonmetallic conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, or other cables or raceways suitable for the location, with approved termination fittings, shall be the wiring methods employed" (emphasis added)..

it goes on to state:

"The wiring methods of Article 502, Part II, shall be permitted for areas described in 547.1(A)."

502, part II, under Class 2 Div 2 allows Type MC cable (no mention of jacketed).

Confuses me as to whether MC is allowed or not.

Comments, please.

RB1

Augie,

The way I read it: jacketed MC is permitted in corrosive and dusty areas, unjacketed is permitted in dusty areas only.

RUWired

Art 547.5(A) starts out by stating: (A) Wiring Systems. Types UF, NMC, copper SE cables, jacketed Type MC cable, rigid nonmetallic conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, or other cables or raceways suitable for the location, with approved termination fittings, shall be the wiring methods employed" (emphasis added)..

it goes on to state:

"The wiring methods of Article 502, Part II, shall be permitted for areas described in 547.1(A)."

502, part II, under Class 2 Div 2 allows Type MC cable (no mention of jacketed).

Confuses me as to whether MC is allowed or not.

Comments, please.

The type mc cable allowed has to be a type MC-HL type rating which is a jacketed mc cable.
http://www.generalcable.com/NR/rdonlyres/74E0EA40-DA59-4256-A505-A83815964F6E/0/51_MCHL.pdf
RICK

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Rick,
I see that in Class II Div 1, but it appears Class II Div 2 includes "MC" (not MC-HL) and Div 2 is still part of 502 Part II which was the only reference.

RUWired

Can you find an approved connector for other than a jacketed type mc cable? I could only find jacketed type connectors.

RB1

Ruwired,

502.10(B)(3) requires only "Listed" termination fittings. If 547.5 is intended to require jacketed type MC cable I don't think it would reference Part II of 502 in its entirety. It appears that you are limiting the wiring methods to Class II, Div 1 methods.

RUWired

Ruwired,

502.10(B)(3) requires only "Listed" termination fittings. If 547.5 is intended to require jacketed type MC cable I don't think it would reference Part II of 502 in its entirety. It appears that you are limiting the wiring methods to Class II, Div 1 methods.

Can you find a mc connector listed for a class 2 div 2 location. southwire lists their cables for div 2 areas, but finding a connector other than jacketed type cables is non existant.

Rick

RB1

Rick,

502.10(B)(1)(3) does not require the termination fittings to be listed for Class II, Division 2 locations. It only requires that the termination fitting be listed. I could not find anything that differentiates a terminating fitting from an ordinary connector other than the listing requirement. I talked to a guy on CMP 7 about this and he said that although most MC cable is listed, there is no listing requirement. I would wlecome any info to the contrary, but I could not find any.

RB1

Rick,

I got my brain tied up in the discussion of MC cable connectors and thought it would be a good idea to go back and look at the 547.5 again. The reference to Article 502 is a permissive rule not a requirement. MC cable could not be used in a corrosive environment unless the metallic sheath is protected per 330.12(2). Any of the wiring methods listed in 547.5 including UF, NMC, rigid nonmetallic, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic, or other wiring methods suitable for the location with approved termination fiitings are acceptable in any location in an agricultural building where installed in accordance with its respective article, i.e., physical damage, etc. It appears to me that the reference to 502 wiring methods in the last sentence of 547.5 allows some ferrous and aluminum wiring methods where a corrosive environment is not an issue. That is why I think standard interlocking tape type MC cable would be permitted in an ag building where corrosion is not an issue.

RUWired

So what you are saying is standard mc with standard connectors would be allowed only in areas that are not subject to corrosive or dust conditions (classified areas).

Rick

RB1

Rick,

I am saying that standard MC cable and connectors are permitted in ag buildings in accordance with Article 330 where there are no corrosive vapors.

RB1

I am also stating that standard MC cable and connectors are suitable for Class II, Div 2 areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.