recepticles over electric baseboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Please help me find the code article that says you can not put recepticles over electric baseboard heaters? And this only applies to electric baseboards and not hot water baseboard heat?
Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think you will find anything that specifically addresses this in the NEC, but you will find it in manufacturers instructions with most baseboard heaters.

kwired

Electron manager
For both electric and hydronic?

If the hydronic would reach a high enough temp there may be instructions that prohibit receptacles installed above, however I have never seen a hydronic heater that gets hot enough for that to be required - I have never seen hydronic heater instructions either though think you would need superheated steam passing through the heater to get hot enough to damage a cord draped over it, we are talking about needing an industrial steam boiler to get this kind of heat.

480sparky

210.52, FPN: Listed baseboard heaters include instructions that may not permit their installation below receptacle outlets.

kwired

Electron manager
210.52, FPN: Listed baseboard heaters include instructions that may not permit their installation below receptacle outlets.

There it is - not a code requirement but a reminder to read the instructions for the heater - which most will not allow a receptacle above the heater.

Mulrooney

read the instructions

read the instructions

Article 110.3(B) Installation and use of equipment. listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling. Same as paddlefan blade having to be 7' high, it's not in the NEC, It's in the manufactures instructions.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There it is - not a code requirement but a reminder to read the instructions for the heater - which most will not allow a receptacle above the heater.
So, which would be the offender, the receptacle or the heater?

"Hey, you got your peanut butter on my chocolate!"

"Hey, you got your chocolate in my peanut butter!"

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If the hydronic would reach a high enough temp there may be instructions that prohibit receptacles installed above, however I have never seen a hydronic heater that gets hot enough for that to be required - I have never seen hydronic heater instructions either though think you would need superheated steam passing through the heater to get hot enough to damage a cord draped over it, we are talking about needing an industrial steam boiler to get this kind of heat.

The surface of a cast iron radiator can reach 215 F with as little as 1 psig of steam. What's your cord rated to?

Status
Not open for further replies.