flatscreen tv over hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking through article 680 and was looking for a height requirement for a customerwho wants a flatscreen over or near his hot tub.not sure of the. Article but it said raceptacles gfci protected could be 5 feet from the highest point of water,now the tv is a sunbright tv and is rated for outdoor use,so if I keep it 5 above the waterline and use a gfci with inuse cover would that satisfy the code.or am I reading it wrong,

mcclary's electrical

I was looking through article 680 and was looking for a height requirement for a customerwho wants a flatscreen over or near his hot tub.not sure of the. Article but it said raceptacles gfci protected could be 5 feet from the highest point of water,now the tv is a sunbright tv and is rated for outdoor use,so if I keep it 5 above the waterline and use a gfci with inuse cover would that satisfy the code.or am I reading it wrong,

Jim W in Tampa

You can install a receptacle a min of 5 feet horizontal from the tub edge. What they plug into it is not your problem. Hopefully they will see the danger and not put it within reach

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The recep. needs to be 6' from the inside wall of the tub. The distance would be the shortest path to the tub. BTW, the tv is not the problem it is the receptacle.

Thanks guys ,so as long as I am ^ feet away im allset ,I understand the outlet is the issue not the tv ,but would it be sake to say as long as the tv and gfci 6 feet away from the tub I should have no issues with the inspector

Jim W in Tampa

You will be fine with your receptacle at 6 feet. As for the TV I would let others install it just for liability reasons. I do not like what i see happening but nec seems to permit it

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There was a good thread on this a while back....

Quick search... Yes, there it is... flat screen tv over whirlpool tub in bathroom

And thres a link in there to another good discussion :)
A whirlpool tub in the bathroom I believe is referencing a hydromassage tub. That is different from a hot tub and has different rules. The hot tub stays filled with water and has chemicals added to the water. A hydromassage is a bathtub with jets, etc and gets filled every usage.

Even if you CAN find the justification in the NEC the condensation would kill the unit in short time. No to mention the chemicals.....:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.