Question, over head crane, related to OSHA....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

Over head crane has a brake cover missing on one of the bridge motors. It was written up by a crane inspector as a possible OSHA violation.

It is only assessable with a scissor lift or an extension ladder, 40 foot from the floor.

The manufacturer tells me they can only find a replacement if I give them the serial number of the crane. I have searched all over the crane for a serial number and can't find one. Paint is about 1/4 inch thick, covering any possible labels and tags.

Is it a violation? Can I fabricate a cover and pass inspections from OSHA?

wtucker

If the crane inspector is worth his salt, he should be able to tell you exactly where the serial number plate is--and he may have the serial number on his inspection report, or a previous inspection report. Or, the company may have a record of the number somewhere

It seems to me that few OSHA compliance officers know enough about cranes to be able to recognize a field-engineered replacement part 40 ft. overhead, and they likely aren't going to get on a lift to go check unless the part you make causes an accident.

hockeyoligist2

The crane inspector couldn't find the serial number either and stated that on his report. They are willing to send him back out to check again and/or make measurements to see if he can find a replacement. However it would be another very expensive service call.

I'm thinking a furnace duct exhaust cap and a can of school bus yellow might be the best fix. LOL

zog

Chance are the violation was under gaurding of live parts, I don't see any reason you can't fabricate something, but of course the inspector will have final say on that one. Just ask him.

sgunsel

I don't think OSHA guarding regulations apply qt 40' above floor level, unless there is a nearby platform. Seems like 8' is the limit. If you can't reach it, it shouldn't be a problem.

RETRAINDAILY

The last crane I did was really old, someone drug from Georgia here to phx.
it was a inside crane we converted into a outdoor crane.

Anyways the millwrights build doghouses with some ventilation holes for all the motors.
And I got a UL sticker on it.

Actually the city inspector would not inspect it he wanted to see the UL Field sticker.

wtucker

I don't think OSHA guarding regulations apply qt 40' above floor level, unless there is a nearby platform. Seems like 8' is the limit. If you can't reach it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Absolutely right, under the electrical standards (consider runway conductors). But how 'bout the crane standard? 1910.179(b)(2) says overhead and gantry cranes must comply with American National Standard Safety Code for Overhead and Gantry Cranes, ANSI B30.2.0-1967, which is incorporated by reference as specified in Sec. 1910.6. Frankly, I don't know what that ANSI standard says about field modification. I doubt that the compliance officer will, either--unless there's an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.