200a service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyt

I am going to be installing a 200a service using 2 1/2 gal as the mast. Although I have done several service upgrades this will be the first using galvanized conduit. I was wondering if any additional bonding will be necessary from the weather head on down into the meter pan?

hurk27

I am going to be installing a 200a service using 2 1/2 gal as the mast. Although I have done several service upgrades this will be the first using galvanized conduit. I was wondering if any additional bonding will be necessary from the weather head on down into the meter pan?

Why the 2 1/2"? seems kind of big for a 200 amp? around here we use just 2" our meters won't take a 2 1/2" unless we go to a 320 base.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why the 2 1/2"? seems kind of big for a 200 amp? around here we use just 2" our meters won't take a 2 1/2" unless we go to a 320 base.

That was what I had on my post but then I thought if it were a 3 phase with 250kcm alum and a neutral he may need 2 1/2"

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A lot of the POCOs here require a 2-1/2" minimum for strength.
The 2" mast stopped after a ice storm about 20 years ago when hundreds of masts buckled.

KWH

Mast Pipe Bond

Mast Pipe Bond

Does your Poco require seperation between mast and meter

tommyt

200a service

200a service

Thanks for all the info. I contacted the inspection outfit I use and they told me to use 2 1/2, I assumed that it was because it is also the point of attachment. I did not think to ask him about any additional bonding at the time so I just thought I would throw it out here and see what was said.

tommyt

200a service

200a service

Just thought I would update you guys. Finished the service today. The 2 1/2 went right into a 2 1/2 hub for the top of the meter and everything else went as usual. It ended up as quite a nice installation. I almost prefer it to pvc.

Status
Not open for further replies.