Ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can emergency ballasts be mounted on the outside of drop-in fixture (2x4 or 2x2)? Does UL have anything to say about that? The reason for this question is that the fire Marshall is asking for every other fixture out of 98 2x4 fixtures to be installed has to have an emergency ballast. Fixtures with EB are very expensive, I found a company that will sell me the ballasts for a fraction of what the fixture company wants, however, they don't fit in the fixture. I'm aware of another contractor that installed them on top (outside) of the trough er, I'm not sure if that is an approved method - I would not think so. Any thoughts or references to the code, NFPA or UL?

iwire

Staff member
I would ask for the code section that requires every other fixture be an emergency fixture. This is too much money to just go ahead and accept without proof.

But I do not see a problem with mounting the ballast outside the fixture as long as it has an enclosure.

Last edited:
emer. ballasts

emer. ballasts

I have done this before. I mounted the emer. ballasts on top of the lay-in fixture, ran all the wires in through a k.o. in the fixture (using a grommet) and it was a clean installation. The inspector did not ask & I did not tell. Granted this was a 10' ceiling, and he did not poke his head up there.

There is no convincing of the Fire Marshall, this is the only way he would approve the prints. I'm looking for something in writing (NEC, UL or NFPA) that says that a ballast can be mounted on the backside of the fixture without an enclosure? That was the one one contractor did it and I'm not sure that it is an approved method.

iwire

Staff member
There is no convincing of the Fire Marshall, this is the only way he would approve the prints.

A lawyer comes to mind ....

I'm looking for something in writing (NEC, UL or NFPA) that says that a ballast can be mounted on the backside of the fixture without an enclosure?

You will not find it but that is not how the NEC works. It does not list what is allowed it lists what is prohibited .... well for the most part.

That was the one one contractor did it and I'm not sure that it is an approved method.

Hard to say from here without seeing it. Do you know the brand and type ballasts they used? Some are made to be used without additional enclosures and some are not.

Bob, thanks for the help. At this time I don't think I want to go the lawyer routine. I'm going to try to find out if the ballasts are rated to be mounted on the outside without an enclosure, I don't want to take a chance and then the inspector shoots it down.

RETRAINDAILY

I did some EM Ballast, that had optional wire way that we could buy that allowed for mounting on top of the fixture.

You would have to go to the manufactures web site (or call) and see what they say there listed for.

Thanks to all of you guys - I really appreciate this. I'll have to make some phone calls to the manufactures and see what they suggest or they might have the appropriate ones to mount on the outside without too much cost.

nakulak

410.104 A violation ? (is a ballast auxilliary equipment ?)

(I would have to think that would be an improper wiring method if fixture wires are going to be run outside the fixture, subject to damage, and live exposed parts.)

402.10 - fixture wires are permitted in luminaires

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
yes, but only with an approved wiring method. the post seems to say he is running the fixture wires exposed on the outside of the fixture (unless I am misunderstanding)

The master slaves I have worked came with fixture whips already installed.

But I am with you on the exposed wiring that was why I was saying some ballasts are made to be externally mounted and others are not.

MarkyMarkNC

http://www.bodine.com/downloads/specs/B100.spec.inst.(elc).pdf

The B100 may be installed inside, on top of or remote from the fixture. The emergency ballast may be remotely installed up to half the distance the AC ballast manufacturer recommends remoting the AC ballast from the lamp or up to 50 feet, whichever is less.

Many emergency ballasts can be ordered with the fixture wires enclosed in an AC whip, and are listed for exterior installation. I usually get them for about $75.00 each.

sparky59

Yes...i have used the bodine emergency ballasts a lot. They are totally enclosed with a metal flex whip. The wiring can be a little tricky until you do a few.

jeremysterling

I did a small retail TI where the lighting package arrived with the 10 emergency ballasts loose. There was no room in the 2X2 troffer's belly pan to mount the EM ballast. I asked for clarification and the owner and GC told me to just mount them on top. They told me all I needed was to bush the hole!

I told the GC no way I was going to free air 277V ballast leads! After a week of digging in my heels, the owner shipped some nifty EM ballast "end caps" that covered the wires as they entered the hole I cut in the top of the troffer.

I have seen where these ballasts were installed on top with exposed wiring. I suspect they were in the same predicament and did not know what to do.

hardworkingstiff

I did a small retail TI where the lighting package arrived with the 10 emergency ballasts loose. There was no room in the 2X2 troffer's belly pan to mount the EM ballast. I asked for clarification and the owner and GC told me to just mount them on top. They told me all I needed was to bush the hole!

I told the GC no way I was going to free air 277V ballast leads! After a week of digging in my heels, the owner shipped some nifty EM ballast "end caps" that covered the wires as they entered the hole I cut in the top of the troffer.

I have seen where these ballasts were installed on top with exposed wiring. I suspect they were in the same predicament and did not know what to do.

I'm trying to understand, the ballast is exposed on top of the fixture and the wires are covered where they enter the fixture? (Sounds like the inside of signs I've been in).

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
The ballast is mounted to the top of the fixture. You can use an existing knockout or make your own and insert a bushing in it to protect the wires. Then there is a metal bracket that covers the end of the ballast where the wires are. It gets screwed to the fixture with one screw. There is also a similar setup for can fixtures, except the ballast is mounted to a bracket that clips to the fixture.

hardworkingstiff

The ballast is mounted to the top of the fixture. You can use an existing knockout or make your own and insert a bushing in it to protect the wires. Then there is a metal bracket that covers the end of the ballast where the wires are. It gets screwed to the fixture with one screw. There is also a similar setup for can fixtures, except the ballast is mounted to a bracket that clips to the fixture.

So the ballast is not in an enclosure and all of the conductors are physically protected. I can't quote any regs, but it sure seems like that ballast should be in an enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.