Un-useable wall space

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormy

Is the wall space in a dwelling behind doors required to have a receptacle? Such as when you enter a bedroom and there is 30 inches of wall space behind the door. I know the code says wallspaces 24 inches and up must have a plug but the space behind a door is pretty much un-useable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's put it this way: when starting the 6-12-12-6 receptacle layout pattern, we're supposed to start at the door hinges, not where the door rests when it's open.

The receptacle does not necessarily have to be behind the door itself, but it must be within 6' of the door hinges, measured along the wall-floor meeting line.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Let's put it this way: when starting the 6-12-12-6 receptacle layout pattern, we're supposed to start at the door hinges, not where the door rests when it's open.

The receptacle does not necessarily have to be behind the door itself, but it must be within 6' of the door hinges, measured along the wall-floor meeting line.

So you are counting the door as wall space? :confused:

Who says we are supposed to start at the hinges???

What if you are doing rough in and have no idea where the hinges will be as the owner hasn't made up their mind yet?

What if you think you know, then do your rough in and the owner changes his mind and flips the door?

What if there is more than one door? Which hinge do you start at?

So long as the NEC requirements are met, it doesn't matter where the hinges are.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Let's not get too literal, Mark. Larry did not mean the hinge itself. That was a conversational simplification. The door itself is not wall space, but you do start measuring at the door opening. It doesn't matter which side gets the hinges. If there is wall space on both sides, you count each side separately, begining at the edge of the opening on each side, and measuring until you hit another doorway (e.g., closet door opening), or until you get back to the other side of the entry door.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Let's not get too literal, Mark. Larry did not mean the hinge itself. That was a conversational simplification. The door itself is not wall space, but you do start measuring at the door opening. It doesn't matter which side gets the hinges. If there is wall space on both sides, you count each side separately, begining at the edge of the opening on each side, and measuring until you hit another doorway (e.g., closet door opening), or until you get back to the other side of the entry door.

That's what I thought and that's the way I have been doing it, so why mention the hinges at all? It would have made more sense, at least to me, if they weren't part of the explanation.

This part is what threw me:

I was looking for some enlightenment as to what difference it made as to which side the door opened. I haven't known Larry to just make things up and really would like him to expound on his statement. Maybe his way (albeit not required) is a better way.

It could happen. :D:D

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Technically, you should start measuring from the inner edge of the door stop.

Huh?

Now I am confused :confused:

What if they don't have a door stop?

Built-in_door_door_stop_in_action.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doorstop

I don't know if I am doing it correctly or not, but I measure from the innermost edge of the opening and I include the trim as part of the wall space if the adjacent wall space is to be counted.

I think you meant to say 'door jamb' instead of 'door stop'. which would have made more sense.

Now, for those that think I am getting too literal, if someone replies to me with 'technically' in the response, I take the entire response very literally as I believe the responder has meant and indicated that I do just that.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh, jeez, you guys! I thought I was a literalist! :roll: :)D)

Like when reading code articles, you gotta read the whole thing:
If you look at my response from the OP's perspective, we were alread on the hinge side of the doorway:
Bseides, the hinge side really is made irrelevant by the proper answer to the question: that you start at the door opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.