kitchen GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Do I remember reading in code where you can no longer protect additional outlets from the same gfci on the counter top, I think before you could protect up to 3 addiitonal. Doesnt every recep now have to be a gfci on kinchen c top.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
dana is right.

We usually try to evenly split the counter top (SABC) circuits one GFI for each group.

jetlag

thanks chamuit

thanks chamuit

dana is right.

We usually try to evenly split the counter top (SABC) circuits one GFI for each group.

Yea thats same way I do . I know I read cant do that any more but it must not have been on kitchen, And there was something else about can only protect 3 additional on each.. might have been for bath.

480sparky

It is either a local code, or a throw-back to the early days of GFCIs when the manufacturer limited the number of downstream protected receps.

hurk27

It could be one of those things where we use to put the outside receptacle"s" on the load side of bathroom GFCI or breaker, was very common practice back in the "70s", which is no longer allowed since the 2002 code cycle, I have seen where some would load an outside receptacle off a kitchen GFCI, but that was always against code, well maybe not always but its not been allowed for a very long time.;)

jetlag

thanks e man scott

thanks e man scott

False on all of the above.

I know I read it, I must have been thumbing thru one of those wiring books at supply house. They do have what might be a valid point , the more recepts protected from the same GFCI the more chance for phantom tripping, they also reccomend the the gfci be placed in the center of the run to minimize the distance, I gues they prob consult with the manufacturer and what they say could be true.

Fast1911

I know years ago Leviton GFCI's used to state in their instructions a limit of 3 protected receptacles downstream. However, that is no longer the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.