Kitchen equipment, Direct Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I get a lot of drawings from kitchen equipment suppliers. They always lay out the equipment with a receptacle or J box behind each piece of equipment. On the schedule it always says "connection type", most says cord/plug, but some say "DIRECT".

Lets say you have a appliance, can it actually be directly wiring in to a J-box? Would the panel have to be visable (50' or less), (or) have a breaker lockable in the open position? or even both?

Also, I think I remember seeing one time if the appliance is in the kitchen and its hard-wired it doesn't require GFCI protection, is that correct?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is commercial kitchen then all recep. need gfci whether if it is for counter or appliance. Not so for residential kitchens. Some are cord and plug and others are direct wired. The direct wired ones generally need a disco or a lockout at the panel. In a residence I usually install the disco for the dw under the sink -- if it comes with a cord then I install a recep. under the sink instead of a switch.

Keri_WW

I've always designed it with a junction box at the equipment and a lock-out type breaker at the panel without ground fault.

Npstewart

Ok, 422.31(B) I think is what im looking for. If the appliance is less then 1/8 HP then the over-current protection device can serve as the disconnecting means. Now I have to see if I can find the GFCI protection. As I recall the NEC says only "receptacles" need to be GFCI protected in kitchens, ill keep looking.

DetroitEE

Ok, 422.31(B) I think is what im looking for. If the appliance is less then 1/8 HP then the over-current protection device can serve as the disconnecting means. Now I have to see if I can find the GFCI protection. As I recall the NEC says only "receptacles" need to be GFCI protected in kitchens, ill keep looking.

210.8(B) does indeed state that only 125V, 15A and 20A receptacles require gfci protection in commercial kitchens.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The answer to the second part is the easy one. If it's a commercial kitchen, receptacles have to be GFCI protected. Hardwired appliance would only need to be GFCI if the mfg. required.
As far as disconnecting means on hardwired, I find it a bit more "confusing". You need to differentiate between motor operated appliance and non-motor as motor operated must comply with Art 430 which requires an "in sight" disconnect.
You also need to differentiate between appliances with unit switch with an off position as 422.34 allows some latitude there.

Npstewart

210.8(B) does indeed state that only 125V, 15A and 20A receptacles require gfci protection in commercial kitchens.

Yea, if it said "OUTLET", I believe it would be required.

Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment

A receptacle isn't worth reciting.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I believe the thinking on this is that if the appliance is cord & plug then 2 things can happen.
1) someone may plug a cord in the outlet and use a handheld appliance and it would be GFCI protected
2) If the ground plug gets damage on the appliance then at least there is GFCI protection.

With direct wired appliances these situations would not be an issue.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If I recall the substantiation was about damaged EGCs in cords and plugs leading to a number of kitchen worker deaths.
That's what I was trying to say but it seems like they would want protection on direct wire also. The "what if" is there for the cord but "what if" the ground terminal gets loose or rusts a bit on the direct wired units. I guess tough luck, huh. :)

iwire

Staff member
That's what I was trying to say but it seems like they would want protection on direct wire also. The "what if" is there for the cord but "what if" the ground terminal gets loose or rusts a bit on the direct wired units. I guess tough luck, huh. :)

Hardwired units were not killing people. :)

It has been my experience with cord and plug connected kitchen equipment is that while the equipment is moved around the cords end up yanked, run over, pinched etc,

Status
Not open for further replies.