microwave question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Hard to take you seriously anymore after a certain recent thread.
Lets remember one thing, i did not create what your talking about and did not even know about it for over 10 years. I never once said it is right because it is not. All i said is i do not see fire or shock hazard. Never said it was NEC compliant. It simply is something i bought with the place. It is not code compliant and if was easy fix would be fixed. It might get fixed but being not unsafe and never been problem how do you justify 4 hours and 20 bucks ?

electricmanscott

Lets remember one thing, i did not create what your talking about and did not even know about it for over 10 years. I never once said it is right because it is not. All i said is i do not see fire or shock hazard. Never said it was NEC compliant. It simply is something i bought with the place. It is not code compliant and if was easy fix would be fixed. It might get fixed but being not unsafe and never been problem how do you justify 4 hours and 20 bucks ?

Why are you being so cheap on your own house ? Think about future when you might want to upgrade the DW or pig. 12-3 is not that much more. And if you need to save money then run 12-2 as the DW and pig come to less than 20 amps.
I personally would never put my frig on anything but dedicated circuit, just not worth the chance of it tripping and my beer getting warm.

Just saying. :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

I didnt think a pig or dw would ever need over 1800 watt never liked multi wire any way, it just doesnt seen right connecting it to 240 to me , Id rather just run 2 #12 . hey now you got my attention with beer getting warm better run a #14 for that
The DW and pig you have now are fine . Now lets talk about future. No your not required to provide for future but many new appliances require deicated circuits. My up to date count in my kitchen is now 9 circuits at 20 amps and no i am not happy but but will deal with it. Only violation i am aware of is i have 1 duplex receptacle on end of counter 2 feet long that happens to also feed the pig. I would never wired it this way but is what i have. Had it ever caused trouble it would been fixed.
At what point would others spend the the time to fix anything like this ? Just to be NEC compliant ?

electricmanscott

Jim's violation=OK

Only violation i am aware of is i have 1 duplex receptacle on end of counter 2 feet long that happens to also feed the pig. I would never wired it this way but is what i have. Had it ever caused trouble it would been fixed.
At what point would others spend the the time to fix anything like this ? Just to be NEC compliant ?
Trust me if was not a major problem i would fix it.
Our major PIG is a DOG so it gets very little use

Op's situation=Bad
The DW and pig you have now are fine . Now lets talk about future. No your not required to provide for future but many new appliances require deicated circuits.

Jim you are arguing one thing for somebody else but against the same thing for yourself. This is hilarious. :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I will tell the inspector I was instructed on MIke Holt forum by a Fla inspector that people with hungry pets can put the disposal on the small app branch circuit.

Jim is not an inspector.

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

Jim is not an inspector.

Roger
Sure i am, i inspect all of my own jobs that my wife permits LOL
If it make you feel better i will red tag my own job. Might be a few days or years till i correct it.

Note that i never said it was legal and was not my install. Do you always fix violations you find on jobs that are not part of the job you were hired to do ?
I contracted with my wife to replace her counter tops, already has added many extras like new sink and a $200 faucet. Now if she sees the red tag on the disposal i will not get paid till fixed.

jetlag

Sure i am, i inspect all of my own jobs that my wife permits LOL
If it make you feel better i will red tag my own job. Might be a few days or years till i correct it.

Note that i never said it was legal and was not my install. Do you always fix violations you find on jobs that are not part of the job you were hired to do ?
I contracted with my wife to replace her counter tops, already has added many extras like new sink and a $200 faucet. Now if she sees the red tag on the disposal i will not get paid till fixed.

Tell her the red tag is you found new disposal on red tag sale. Hide the cast iron pans if u get caught they hurt bad

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
6 circuits is not too many for even a small kitchen, ever notice how much stuff people plug in? Usually doesn't cost that much more for plenty of kitchen circuits.

And if we're doing tract homes and getting the jobs by bidding low, we don't put our names in the panel box.

Jim W in Tampa

6 circuits is not too many for even a small kitchen, ever notice how much stuff people plug in? Usually doesn't cost that much more for plenty of kitchen circuits.

And if we're doing tract homes and getting the jobs by bidding low, we don't put our names in the panel box.

I am wishing i had ran dedicated runs to every kitchen counter receptacle. I throw huge parties every Saturday night and that means 4 crock pots, coffee maker, electric skillets. Doing OK but if could do over would be far more. You can never see the future use untill it is too late. Most of what we use are divided over 4 SA circuits. total is 6 without counting dedicated frig,micro and DW. Will admit i never gave you more than required 2 on track homes.

M_J_C

Mike Holmes would say.......

Mike Holmes would say.......

Codes are minimum requirement, why would you strive to be mediocre and meet minimum requirements when you can build it better?

My family is 7 people, and every counter receptacle/appliance is on its own circuit because the kitchen gets a workout everyday, even more when extended family is over.

Of course this reasoning needs to be explained to the client during the bid process if you ever expect to get any work.

Split Bolt

I am wishing i had ran dedicated runs to every kitchen counter receptacle. I throw huge parties every Saturday night and that means 4 crock pots, coffee maker, electric skillets. Doing OK but if could do over would be far more. You can never see the future use untill it is too late. Most of what we use are divided over 4 SA circuits. total is 6 without counting dedicated frig,micro and DW. Will admit i never gave you more than required 2 on track homes.

Jim, you've referenced these huge Saturday night parties before. My parents have a trailer down in Largo near E. Bay and Starkey. They are snowbirds so we go there a lot for vacations. (can't beat the price and the 10 minute drive to Clearwater Beach!) Anyway, next time I'm down there, what do I need to do to get invited to one? Do you have disposer roasts?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.