Internet security

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have a small office setup with no more than 3 computers networked at any one time via a router. Usually just 2. All with the same vs of McAfee software. It slows things up terribly. Use to be a lot better speed wise until the last major update. I have had pros come in to set the options in the software but things just drag. Anyone have something they like? Computers themselves are more than adequate.

M_J_C

When I'm in the office, one of my hats is Network Admin (when the real one is on vacation, etc). We use VirusScan Enterprise by McAfee on about 50 PC's and are fairly satisfied with it.

Occasionally an update comes through that really hoses the system, to be fair this can and does happen with any software updates from any vendor. When this occurs it usually generates enough complaints from people like yourself to get the software company to work on a fix quickly.

I would either wait for another update or patch from McAfee, or try another A/V product. Believe it or not Microsoft has a product that seems to be decent, Security Essentials. I've been trying this out on a couple of PC's at my home, and haven't had any issues with it yet.

Did I mention it's free?

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Benton

I find that AVG work really well with my computer, you have tons of security features (if you choose) without the drag....

Fast1911

I replaced McAfee with Kaspersky Internet Security a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. For one, new versions still work with XP, and I have a couple of XP systems here.

We use Zone Alarm Extreme and it works great. Never liked the Norton or McAfee.

cadpoint

You probably need to remove some of the programs running in the background.
That and what are your IP portals doings that are open, and what your machine is broadcasting at the sub machine level via the IP setting.

I've noticed a lot of software now wants to connect and broadcast, printer software as well as protection, seems to be all demanding to receive some reply and update a status...

GUNNING

AVG... cause its free!

AVG... cause its free!

AVG.. It works and it doesn't slow ya down. Symantec and Mcaffee are HUGE programs examining everything all the time. If you have a software problem, removing Symantec or Mcaffee will generally fix it.

AVG, No problems and it works.

Best of all its free.....

hurk27

TOOL BARS!!!!

Get rid of TOOL BARS, most are just tracking machines that track everything you do on the internet, and some are very malicious, and do nothing but slow down your connection speed and take up CPU cycles, yes some can have nice little buttons that make it easier to find stuff, but for the most part just create these buttons yourself as a desk top icon, you will not believe how much better your computer will run.

I un-install every one that sneaks in.

Also I use Trend Micro Internet security pro, have never had a problem and I can password out all of my computers to stop Peer to peer network sharing, and other sites that are a good way to get malicious code from.
Also it doesn't download updates while your using the machine, and waits till a set time (you can set) after the last use before it will, and if it detects you using the machine again it halts the download until your done. it has a much more user friendly control settings, but the only thing I don't care for is the way the LOGS are, it doesn't really say what it found so you can look it up.

just remember even the best anti-virus/malware program cant do its job unless you exercise safe computing,

Want to learn more about safe computing go HERE

resister in their forum and read the instructions, they will help you get the worst problem out of your computer, all volunteer group, that is connected to malware university, which trains anyone to become a malware expert.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.