Hot Tub Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to hook up a hot tub but since I have limited space in the backyard, I'd like to put it near(far away enough so that you can't touch it while in the hot tub) my A/C unit outside. If I am reading 680.22 E correctly, I would have to move the tub 10' away from the A/C disconnect. Is that correct? Or can I put the hot tub closer, just not close enough to touch while in the tub? Could a GFCI breaker on the A/C unit solve that problem(i really dont like that idea)?

hotwire1955

I'd like to hook up a hot tub but since I have limited space in the backyard, I'd like to put it near(far away enough so that you can't touch it while in the hot tub) my A/C unit outside. If I am reading 680.22 E correctly, I would have to move the tub 10' away from the A/C disconnect. Is that correct? Or can I put the hot tub closer, just not close enough to touch while in the tub? Could a GFCI breaker on the A/C unit solve that problem(i really dont like that idea)?

As long as the switch for the A/C is 5' or more away from the tub your ok there really isn't any thing that gives a distance from the tub for the A/C, if it's within 5' you need to bond it. I would keep it as far as possible who wants to hear the A/C unit while sitting in the tub.Check with AHJ it's his or her call.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree in part with Hotwire. If the a/c is within 5' then it must be bonded however the a/c itself if kept a minimum of 5' from the inside wall of the tub should not be an issue.

I can reach 5' so you may want to skooch it a bit futher for your comfort.

Jim W in Tampa

Or put a wood fince between tub and ac , the 5 feet is to keep some ID 10 T from touchin it
Any metal within 5 feet must be bonded, that include windows , doors etc

Status
Not open for further replies.