6 inch rule??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnot2b

We are installing new pannels in classrooms and forman told me to land two #12 under 20 amp bkr. I was under the impression you could not double land breakers in new work (only in old work and only if breaker is listed as such). He said "fine you can just land one and apply the six inch rule". He explaned that you can land one wire under breaker and wirenut several wires together feeding circuit leaving several conduits? I have never heard of the six inch rule-well not in this app. A little help please!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The only 6" rule that comes to mind in reference to conductors is the requirement for 6" of free conductor at boxes in 300.14.
As far as connecting two conductors a breaker it is allowable if the manufacturer list the breaker for two.
Using a pigtail and wirenut to attach multiple conductors is also allowable.

Jim W in Tampa

The only 6" rule that comes to mind in reference to conductors is the requirement for 6" of free conductor at boxes in 300.14.
As far as connecting two conductors a breaker it is allowable if the manufacturer list the breaker for two.

Using a pigtail and wirenut to attach multiple conductors is also allowable.
NEC has no such rule about pig tails. He can splice as many as he wishes as long as not mixing A with B cause of neutral .
I don't like it much and he best keep the 180 VA in mind per breaker.
Sounds like job is out of spaces so its 180 per yoke. Comes to 12 duplex outlets and some how i just know this will be over. Lucky inspector gets to check it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't like it much and he best keep the 180 VA in mind per breaker

That means we are only allowed to load each breaker to 1.5 amps, call the shop, we're going to need more panelboards. :grin:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.