EXACT same cover for same box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalilo

I it code to have to use the same cover for the same box?

1)can you use a plastic carlon cover for a metal raco box?

2)Do they treat this like thy do breakers, when they don't want cross branding or even type?

mcclary's electrical

I it code to have to use the same cover for the same box?

1)can you use a plastic carlon cover for a metal raco box?

2)Do they treat this like thy do breakers, when they don't want cross branding or even type?

IMO, plastic on metal box is ok, the other way around, not so much

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the metal cover is okay as long as it's bonded, so I designed this:

groundedblank.jpg

macmikeman

Just finished a job where there was flush outlets in poured in place exterior concrete walls. The contractor wanted to add 5/8" drywall to the old walls (beat up badly and had wallpaper on them as well). Instead of using inserts I thought up a new trick and it worked excellent. I put a single gang plastic 1/2" switch ring from Carlon over the existing outlets and secured to each with long 6-32 screws. Then they put the drywall over them. Afterwards I removed the screws and there was no movement at all on the rings. At trim I put in the devices, again using long screws so that they went thru the rings and on into the original tapped holes. The rings came flush to the outside of the drywall, and worked much better than pricier extension thingamajigs.

aftershock

Just finished a job where there was flush outlets in poured in place exterior concrete walls. The contractor wanted to add 5/8" drywall to the old walls (beat up badly and had wallpaper on them as well). Instead of using inserts I thought up a new trick and it worked excellent. I put a single gang plastic 1/2" switch ring from Carlon over the existing outlets and secured to each with long 6-32 screws. Then they put the drywall over them. Afterwards I removed the screws and there was no movement at all on the rings. At trim I put in the devices, again using long screws so that they went thru the rings and on into the original tapped holes. The rings came flush to the outside of the drywall, and worked much better than pricier extension thingamajigs.

Are those listed to be used in that manner?

cmreschke

i do believe that firerings are required for drywall not so much with concrete.
havent taken 08 update yet but your saying also that i cant change a device screw and put a longer one in there if i put a fire ring in?
plastic box metal cover if its a blank i use grounding clips otherwise the device grounds the cover. i do however try to avoid using plastic 4 squares

eprice

I'm don't think arc shields are even required if the wall is made from concrete and drywall....?

I think 314.20 is the applicable section. In concrete or drywall, the edge of the box can be set back as much as 1/4" without an extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.