double-pole or 4-way switch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

Here is a diagram of a 4 way switch (SW3)

142029595_d43d9959af.jpg

So you could use a DPDT switch with a pair of jumpers to replicate a 4 way switch.

2.jpg

I doubt, however, there is anything to be gained as I'll bet the DPDT switches are way more expensive than a 4 way, plus consider the next person in the box.

Okay Thanks

MJW

Thats right and it doesn't need to be.......that contact is not used

dick

Sorry I still don't get it. Here is a crude drawing (compared to your drawing) that has the 3-ways. With 3-way #1 and the 4-way in the shown position I dont see how 3-way #2 will ever turn on the light. If I am missing something or not understanding your drawing correctly please let me know.

Switch.jpg

dicklaxt

The solid line represents a closed contact,the dashed line represents an open contact,when you toggle the switch then these will change state .

dick

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As far a a double pole double throw. The ones I have used are off in the middle. And on in either top or bottom.
While a double pole is just up on and down off. (both poles)

There are DPST, DPDT. and what you are talking about is a DPDT center off-- you don't see them much. A standard double pole switch is a DPST.

dicklaxt

Sorry I still don't get it. Here is a crude drawing (compared to your drawing) that has the 3-ways. With 3-way #1 and the 4-way in the shown position I dont see how 3-way #2 will ever turn on the light. If I am missing something or not understanding your drawing correctly please let me know.

Switch.jpg

Da**,now my face is red and I am :mad: at myself only,,,,,,,, you
are exactly right,there is a missing jumper,I guess I needed a beer instead of a cup of coffee.

I'll draw the complete schematic next time so I don't lose tract of where I am.

I just went into one of my past folders and pulled up a 4-way switching and I had it right there.I guess at 74 years old I need to look more and than think less.

dick

Last edited:

MJW

Don't be too hard on yourself I do stuff like that all the time. I was just beginning to think I needed to go back to school because I could not figure it out. I can continue on with my day now that I know I am not insane.

cmreschke

but also aside from two pole switch labeled on/off where you terminate wires it also says line load. a four way states input output on its terminal screws without the on off on the toggle. plus the price for a fourway is way more than a two pole switch.

Buck Parrish

As some one earlier stated the two pole had all brass screws and the 4 way had two black and two bronze screws.
It works fine now.

Dennis, I use double throw middle off on almost all the custom homes I do. Because I have the lighting in the front controlled by motion detectors. that can be over riden for always on or always off.
We don't like useing floods in the front because they take away from the spectacular designs I come up with.:cool:
Some times i'll go to the lights via motion detector then via contactor. As the lighting wattage can exceed the 300 watts.

ronaldrc

Dick your sketch is the same as Marky the Sparkys top schematic except it is turned hor. left to right then you need to add a jumper between the two travelers without one.
Or the bottom traveler needs to jumper to the top traveler.:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis, I use double throw middle off on almost all the custom homes I do. Because I have the lighting in the front controlled by motion detectors. that can be over riden for always on or always off.

Buck, motion sensors are designed to with a bypass. To bypass the sensor you need to turn the switch on for a few seconds and then turn it off and back on immediately. This will bypass the sensor and it will stay on until the switch is turned off.

I used to run a 14/3 to the light. One went to the motion sensor and the other to the floods directly-- This way I had 2 sp switches and not that expensive center off deal. Don't need it anymore since the manufacturer built in the override.

Buck Parrish

The manufactors overide can be a little troblesome for evey one in the family to figure out. Some times they accidently hit the switch more then once.
Plus if I want more then the three hundred watts I need a contactor any way.

Buck Parrish

Buck, what do you do when you have decora style switches?

I 'll put these behind the door as you come in the garage. Your right they cost a lot but the customers love this feature.
I can even turn on the mini cans in the soffits this way. The entrance lights , yard lights , etc...

ronaldrc

The ones I have used never have said anything in any direction right side up or up side down,at least if they did I never heard them.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.