Dimming Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

A customer called me and said that she had a incandescent light that kept dimming automatically. She wants to put the blame on me because I did some work for her recently. I told her to change the bulb at let me know what happens. I worked on fluorescent lights. What would cause the incandescent to dim like that? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as fireryan states, most often a loose connection.
If it only the one light most probably that circuit.
"Dimming light" (throughout the residence) service calls often are the result of the result of deteriorating connections at the service drop.

and

if you have not already realized it, once you perform ANY electrical work at a residence, ALL problems even remotely associated with electricity will be directed to your visit for an indefinite period of time, possibly until someone else performs a task.:)

satcom

The OP had to ask "What would cause the incandescent to dim like that?" that would be a real concern to me.

mxslick

<snip>

if you have not already realized it, once you perform ANY electrical work at a residence, ALL problems even remotely associated with electricity will be directed to your visit for an indefinite period of time, possibly until someone else performs a task.:)

Which is reason #1 that makes me stay away from ANY resi work!!

Benton

as fireryan states, most often a loose connection.
If it only the one light most probably that circuit.
"Dimming light" (throughout the residence) service calls often are the result of the result of deteriorating connections at the service drop.

and

I feel this is the way things are now, unfortunately, because the owner doesn't want to pay for the trip out. I don't know that it is associated with my trip nor does she. It is the only light that is dimming, but it is also the only incan at her shop too.

dmagyar

Imho you'll need to check it out

Imho you'll need to check it out

You'll need to assure yourself that you didn't do something by mistake or overlooked something simple before you tell the customer you aren't responsible. Let then know that if you didn't cause the problem the calls free, if not it's the normal charge beforehand. Then determine if you're in the clear, then have them pay the normal service call.

I just visited a client who just had granite counter tops installed (within six months). They were complaining of no/low voltage, when I arrived I found it was because when the homeowners wife re-installed the kitchen counter top plugs and switches all the connections weren't even finger tight. Most of the neutrals came off the receptacle screws as I took them out of the wall.

In another case a restraurant owner has one circuit with about twenty hanging lights on it, he then put in 100 watt lights in each one. The dimmer feeding them was blinking the lights very dimmly. I explained that he couldn't have that much load on a 20 amp circuit without the problems he was experencing. Wattage is something that most people just dont get.

Find out what they've been up to lately, see if there's an "almost lectwishin" in their midst.

Status
Not open for further replies.