Arc Fault Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
In the 2008 Edition of the code it says all 15A and 20A single phase branch ckts supplying outlets shall have an arc fault breaker. I was wanting to know if an appliance circuit in the kitchen was included in Atricle 210.12B. It does not have kitchen or Bath in the article.

Thanks

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
In the 2008 Edition of the code it says all 15A and 20A single phase branch ckts supplying outlets shall have an arc fault breaker. I was wanting to know if an appliance circuit in the kitchen was included in Atricle 210.12B. It does not have kitchen or Bath in the article.

Thanks

Article 100 Definitions:
Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

IMO yes, the SABC need to be on AFCI.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It names specific rooms. Rooms not on that list (including kitchens and baths) do not require AFCI.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for all the replys. I just wanted to see what others had to say about this

WinZip

Question if anyone cares to answer.

Replacing an old 200 amp panel with new 200 amp panel have you been forced to bring interior of home up to code ( re: arc fault breakers ) in listed areas.

ceb58

Article 100 Definitions:
Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

So this means that lighting circuits are to be on afci to?

If it is in the kitchen and the circ. doesn't leave the kitchen then no AFCI.
Just a kinda rule of thumb for the 2008 if it is not GFCI'ed then it will be AFCI'ed. There are places that are not specified such as a kitchen as not covered under the AFCI rule But when wireing it is more convenient and cost wise to catch that area on a circ. that will be AFCI'ed instead of pulling a new home run to cover a small area.

Status
Not open for further replies.