Residential 2 Meter stack - Sizing SE conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecook

Hello, I am new here. Former union journeyman turned licensed NJ Contractor due to lack of work. Thank you in advance for any of your help.
Scenario:
Installing a new single phase 2-family dwelling service. Power Co. wants a 2 meter stack and their Service Drop will be 1/0. Panels are 200A in each unit. Power co said they prefer 1 set of SE conductors to their drop.
Question:
Should i size my 1 set of SE conductors by just using the total calculated load for both units? If not, any recommendations? I'm used to doing single family and I dont want to undersize them.. Thanks for your help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As fireryan said you would need to do a load calculation to determine the size of the SE conductors or just use conductors rated for 400 amps.

ecook

Ok thanks it makes sense to use the calculated loads to size the SE cable on this new modular duplex instead of sizing by allowable amps here because it's pre-wired with 2-200 amp panels..

Installed panels: 400A = 400 mcm or parallel 2/0 (2 conduits)
vs.
Calc load: 160 amps (80 amps/unit) = copper 2/0 or even 4/0 to be safe.

Sounds like huge overkill to go with the 400 amps. It's only 3000 sq ft total. Ranges, dryers and HWHs are gas. I will confirm with local inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.