Arc Flash Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

Yes, who ever did that label has no idea what they are doing. The approach boundaries are all wrong, the HRC and AFB on the left are likely wrong, and the 43 and V rating of 3 make no sense at all.

The listed PPE on the left does not meet the HRC 4 requirement above it.

I have seen hundreds of thousands of these and this is easily the worst label I have ever seen.

aharrigan

What values would normally go nto the 43 and the 3. I would think PPE class would match the category level and the PPE V would be in this case 500v or less?

I also agree label is really bad

zog

Values from the study, which obviously has not been done, these numbers are made up.

For a 200V system the gloves should be Class 0 or Class 00. The LAB should be 42" and the RAB/{AB should say "Avoid contact"

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Can't they increase the approach boundries if they want? Who says they have to use the code minimums??

The Flash Protection boundry does seem crazy small.

Whats wrong with teh PPE??

Steve

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Even if all the numbers were correct, they are totally useless without units.

Good point. The Flash protection boundry might actually be 36 meters. :)

The last set of labels I did had to have everything in English and Spanish. Of course the English labels had everything in imperial units, while the spanish labels had everything in the metric system. What a PIA that was.

zog

Good point. The Flash protection boundry might actually be 36 meters. :)

The last set of labels I did had to have everything in English and Spanish. Of course the English labels had everything in imperial units, while the spanish labels had everything in the metric system. What a PIA that was.

Did you find the ft-m conversion error in the 2009 70E?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Did you find the ft-m conversion error in the 2009 70E?

No, I didn't. I let the SKM software calculate the distances. All I had to do was select the units in the settings.

What am I missing on the PPE for a Category 4? It looks about right to me?

zog

No, I didn't. I let the SKM software calculate the distances. All I had to do was select the units in the settings.

What am I missing on the PPE for a Category 4? It looks about right to me?

The metric values of the RAB are wrong in the 70E, someone messed up the conversions.

The PPE looks about right, I missed the flash suit the first time I looked at it, but the are no calometric values listed for any of the PPE listed, should say a minimum value.

SKM Label Issue

SKM Label Issue

Most of these parameters are set in SKM BUT you can also enter many of these separately for the labels. There is no PPE 43 in shock or arc. Looks like it might be entered manually. Zog has the numbers right. Check with SKM customer service. I'll notify one of these guys about this on the forum. The make a pretty good product but they do have a lot of room for customization which might be why this one came out wrong.

The 36 inch boundary seems very short for a 40 cal as stated. It is also pretty rare to have EXACTLY 40.00 cal/cm2. Usually when you get that close you will wind up with a Danger label which won't call for a PPE category. The PPE categories are actually for when you don't use the calculations but the software companies all print them on the labels for a guide. The NFPA 70E-2009 makes this pretty clear but the new 2012 version will make this even more clear. HRC's include a risk analysis. Calculations do not. They are a hazard analysis ONLY. Risk must be determined separately. The software's do not do risk analysis so they default to the HRC in the standard for the tables. This isn't exactly correct but works for an unsophisticated analysis and will err on the side of protecting the worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.