New Jersey Nursery school and romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

OK Plans list building as type II B building is two story first floor is being renovated gutted and redone framing is going to be wood as existing framing is wood so can I use romex? there is a drop ceiling but new Jersey allows RX above drop ceilings.

NM in type IIb

NM in type IIb

From the way I'm interpreting 334.12(A)(1) which refers to 334.10(1-4) I don't think it is permissible. Type II B is a fire-resistive/rated building and that makes romex a no-no.

Last edited:

RICK NAPIER

If it is a type II construction it would not be allowed. But it does not sound like a type II building. Type II does not use combustable construction except for

SECTION 603 COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL IN TYPE I AND II CONSTRUCTION

603.1 Allowable materials.

Combustible materials shall be permitted in buildings of Type I or Type II construction in the following applications and in accordance with Sections 603.1.1 through 603.1.3:

1. Fire-retardant-treated wood shall be permitted in:1.1. Nonbearing partitions where the required fire-resistance rating is 2 hours or less.1.2. Nonbearing exterior walls where no fire rating is required.1.3. Roof construction, including girders, trusses, framing and decking.

Exception:
In buildings of Type I construction exceeding two stories in height, fire-retardant-treated wood is not permitted in roof construction when the vertical distance from the upper floor to the roof is less than 20 feet (6096 mm).2. Thermal and acoustical insulation, other than foam plastics, having a flame spread index of not more than 25.

Exceptions:
1. Insulation placed between two layers of noncombustible materials without an intervening airspace shall be allowed to have a flame spread index of not more than 100.2. Insulation installed between a finished floor and solid decking without intervening airspace shall be allowed to have a flame spread index of not more than 200.3. Foam plastics in accordance with Chapter 26.4. Roof coverings that have an A, B or C classification.5. Interior floor finish and interior finish, trim and millwork such as doors, door frames, window sashes and frames.6. Where not installed over 15 feet (4572 mm) above grade, show windows, nailing or furring strips and wooden bulkheads below show windows, including their frames, aprons and show cases.7. Finished flooring applied directly to the floor slab or to wood sleepers that are fireblocked in accordance with Section 717.2.7.8. Partitions dividing portions of stores, offices or similar places occupied by one tenant only and that do not establish a corridor serving an occupant load of 30 or more shall be permitted to be constructed of fire-retardant-treated wood, 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction or of wood panels or similar light construction up to 6 feet (1829 mm) in height.9. Stages and platforms constructed in accordance with Sections 410.3 and 410.4, respectively.10. Combustible exterior wall coverings, balconies and similar projections and bay or oriel windows in accordance with Chapter 14.11. Blocking such as for handrails, millwork, cabinets and window and door frames.12. Light-transmitting plastics as permitted by Chapter 26.13. Mastics and caulking materials applied to provide flexible seals between components of exterior wall construction.14. Exterior plastic veneer installed in accordance with Section 2605.2.15. Nailing or furring strips as permitted by Section 803.4.16. Heavy timber as permitted by Note d to Table 601 and Sections 602.4.7 and 1406.3.17. Aggregates, component materials and admixtures as permitted by Section 703.2.2.18. Sprayed fire-resistant materials and intumescent and mastic fire-resistant coatings, determined on the basis of fire-resistance tests in accordance with Section 703.2 and installed in accordance with Section 1704.10 and 1704.11, respectively.19. Materials used to protect penetrations in fire-resistance-rated assemblies in accordance with Section 712.20. Materials used to protect joints in fire-resistance-rated assemblies in accordance with Section 713.21. Materials allowed in the concealed spaces of buildings of Type I and II construction in accordance with Section 717.5.22. Materials exposed within plenums complying with Section 602 of the International Mechanical Code.

krisinjersey

Not here

Not here

I called Millburn and Chatham and they both said NO. Tony in Chatham asked if I was afraid to get my hands all dirty on the MC? I had to explain what I was answering and he said it was clearly stated in the code book, but he wasn't going to look it up for me to post on here. Then he said to get off the computer and get to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.