Where to place the SPD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have a customer who would like to add a Surge Protection Device at the panel(s) to cover their electrical system.

Does it matter where the SPD is located, i.e. does it have to go at or close to the main breaker or can it be installed in the second or sub-panel?

Buck Parrish

I have a customer who would like to add a Surge Protection Device at the panel(s) to cover their electrical system.

Does it matter where the SPD is located, i.e. does it have to go at or close to the main breaker or can it be installed in the second or sub-panel?

SPD seems like it would work much better at the main panel. It would most likely tell you in the instructions.
The ones I have installed for an average 200 amp service. We put them in the main panel.
Thier was no reason to install it in a sub.
You must not have any extra spaces, aye?
They cost us from $175-$400

brian john

The best protection is multi-level one at the panel and at any electronics that you wish to protect.

Per the manufacture size the CB
Run conductors as straight as possible, no tight bends
Cable tie them together
Keep them as short as possible.

Occupation
Inspector
SPD seems like it would work much better at the main panel. It would most likely tell you in the instructions.
The ones I have installed for an average 200 amp service. We put them in the main panel.
Thier was no reason to install it in a sub.
You must not have any extra spaces, aye?
They cost us from $175-$400

There is no room in the main panel. I might be able to move a few circuits to make room.

Status
Not open for further replies.