Neutral with 3 phase Cooling tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Engineer

Don't let the P.E. fool you, there are things I still need to be schooled on, and I am willing to ask. ;)

It appears that I'm reviewing plans for a friend, and the engineer ran 4#6 and a ground to the Cooling tower. Now the Cooling Tower does have a VFD also, so I do understand why they would run a neutral, per se, however in your honest opinion, do you think it's necessary since the panel feeding the Cooling Tower has a neutral?

Your take and advice is much appreciated! :)

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I can't see any reason why a VFD would require a neutral. I'd imagine it derives it's own control power from an internal CPT.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Don't let the P.E. fool you, there are things I still need to be schooled on, and I am willing to ask. ;)

It appears that I'm reviewing plans for a friend, and the engineer ran 4#6 and a ground to the Cooling tower. Now the Cooling Tower does have a VFD also, so I do understand why they would run a neutral, per se, however in your honest opinion, do you think it's necessary since the panel feeding the Cooling Tower has a neutral?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

however in your honest opinion, do you think it's necessary since the panel feeding the Cooling Tower has a neutral?
Did you mean:
however in your honest opinion, do you think it's necessary just because the panel feeding the Cooling Tower has a neutral?

BJ Conner

May Be They didn't know?

May Be They didn't know?

I've done jobs where the architech,and/or mechanical engineers didn't know anything but "yes there will be a cooling tower". AND "your drawings are due the day after tomorrow." AND "NO I can't get any vendor drawing to you for 3 weeks, were still evaluating the system."
I'de put in 4 wires and if I remembered and had time the usual CMA statement for the contractor to check the vendor drawings.
Contractors are usually happier to leave a conductor than to have to add one that wasn't on their bid drawings.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Every drawing I issue that shows power to a three phase motor that has a VFD will show a 3 wire feeder plus an EGC. Many times, the panel feeding such motors does not have a neutral. But even if it did, that would not change the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.