manufactured home service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray rosa

Does the electric service coming from a power pole with a meter and disconnect have to be within 30 feet of the manufactured home as in NEC 550

construct

The service can be installed in or on the home if it meets all 7 conditions of 550.32 (B) 2005 NEC. But as ptonsparky mentioned, you should check with your AHJ.;)

kwired

Electron manager
Read 550.32 A and B.

You can have service more than 30 feet away but must still have a disconnect suitable for use as service equipment within 30 feet.

You can have service equipment in or on a manufactured home if all conditions are met.

hurk27

Does the electric service coming from a power pole with a meter and disconnect have to be within 30 feet of the manufactured home as in NEC 550

Nope:

550.32 Service Equipment.
(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment. The mobile home service equipment shall be located adjacent to the mobile home and not mounted in or on the mobile home. The service equipment shall be located in sight from and not more than 9.0 m (30 ft) from the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves. The service equipment shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises, provided that a disconnecting means suitable for service equipment is located in sight from and not more than 9.0 m (30 ft) from the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves. Grounding at the disconnecting means shall be in accordance with 250.32.

As you can see it is allowed to use a disconnect at the home.
And the exception to 550.33(A) allows you to only have to run a 3-wire feeder circuit to this disconnect from the service:

Exception: Where a feeder is installed between service equipment and a disconnecting means as covered in 550.32(A), it shall be permitted to omit the equipment grounding conductor where the grounded circuit conductor is grounded at the disconnecting means as required in 250.32(B).
But from this disconnect you must run 4-wires, and the grounding conductor has to be insulated.

And if this is a modular home, the service can go on it.
A modular is a home built elswere on a frame but intended for the home to be removed from the frame and set on its own foundation, A manufactured home is a home built on a fram that stays with the home and is part of its foundation.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If you have a disconnect on a pole then go to the disconnect for the home it must be 4 wire. 2008 NEC.

In Ohio we kept the 2005 NEC for manf. homes so you only need a 3 wire in the above example.

hurk27

If you have a disconnect on a pole then go to the disconnect for the home it must be 4 wire. 2008 NEC.

In Ohio we kept the 2005 NEC for manf. homes so you only need a 3 wire in the above example.

Mike, it is still allowed in the 2008, take a look at 550.33(A)(2) exception, they just added another number to the section (2)
Still there.

And if the MH is not on a permanent foundation it would fall under Federal HUD codes anyway which still allow it also, CFR 24 Part 3280.800

sweetcav

All Manufactured homes are built to the HUD code which has adopted the 2005 NEC with some amendments as there Electrical code. Modular are Built to the same specifications as Site built and use the IRC and whatever the Local Electrical code is.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Mike, it is still allowed in the 2008, take a look at 550.33(A)(2) exception, they just added another number to the section (2)
Still there.

And if the MH is not on a permanent foundation it would fall under Federal HUD codes anyway which still allow it also, CFR 24 Part 3280.800

Not understanding what you are saying.

As I read it a 3 wire is allowed if it is existing. If not 4 wire is required.

My point is that the 2005 allows a three wire between structures and the 2008 requires a 4 wire.

So if you had a disconnect on a pole and the disconnect required at the home, under the 2008 you have to use 4 wire. If you are using the 2005 you could use three wire between the disconnects. Assuming no parallel paths.

hurk27

Not understanding what you are saying.

As I read it a 3 wire is allowed if it is existing. If not 4 wire is required.

I don't read anywhere in 550.33 that says anything about existing.:confused:

My point is that the 2005 allows a three wire between structures and the 2008 requires a 4 wire.

the wording between the 2005 and 2008 has not changed, just re-numbered

So if you had a disconnect on a pole and the disconnect required at the home, under the 2008 you have to use 4 wire. If you are using the 2005 you could use three wire between the disconnects. Assuming no parallel paths.
again see above, the wording of 550.33 has not changed between 2008 and 2005.

550.33(A)(2)Exception: Where a feeder is installed between service equipment and a disconnecting means as covered in 550.32(A), it shall be permitted to omit the equipment grounding conductor where the grounded circuit conductor is grounded at the disconnecting means as required in 250.32(B).

this is very simple, if the feeder runs from the service equipment and lands in the trailer main disconnect inside of the trailer it has to be a 4-wire feeder.

but If you locate a disconnect adjacent to the trailer (to meet the 30' rule), then the feeder to this disconnect is allowed to be a 3-wire, but the remaining part of the feeder from this disconnect into the trailer that lands in the main breaker panel in the trailer has to be a 4-wire.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Agreed no changes in 550.33.

I am talking about 250.32(B).

Existing is in the exception under 550.33(A)(2).

550.33(A)(2)Exception: Where (For) a (an existing)[this is missing from your quote] feeder is installed between service equipment and a disconnecting means as covered in 550.32(A), it shall be permitted to omit the equipment grounding conductor where the grounded circuit conductor is grounded at the disconnecting means as required in 250.32(B).

I am using the 2008 handbook. Do not have the 2008 NEC in front of me. Is it missing "an existing"?

hurk27

great now the 2008 is not availble:mad:

I checked it last night and it didn't have the wording your hand book seems to have?

When I compaired it between the 2005 and the 2008 the only thing I saw changed was the added (2) number?

hurk27

Agreed no changes in 550.33.

I am talking about 250.32(B).

Existing is in the exception under 550.33(A)(2).

550.33(A)(2)Exception: Where (For) a (an existing)[this is missing from your quote] feeder is installed between service equipment and a disconnecting means as covered in 550.32(A), it shall be permitted to omit the equipment grounding conductor where the grounded circuit conductor is grounded at the disconnecting means as required in 250.32(B).

I am using the 2008 handbook. Do not have the 2008 NEC in front of me. Is it missing "an existing"?

Ok I stand corrected, as I seen it now, the on-line 2008 on the NFPA web site didn't have it, it was just as in the 2005. sorry for the confusion.;)

the only thing now is the latest Federal HUD codes (CFR 24 3280.800) are based on the 2005, and Indiana uses it for trailer hook ups, unless the trailer is on privet property and on a foundation.

Last edited:

hurk27

Heres the link for it:

CFR 24 3280
scroll down to .800 for electrical.

? 3280.801 Scope.
(a) Subpart I of this part and Part II of Article 550 of the National Electrical Code (NFPA No. 70?2005) cover the electrical conductors and equipment installed within or on manufactured homes and the conductors that connect manufactured homes to a supply of electricity.

(b) In addition to the requirements of this part and Part II of Article 550 of the National Electrical Code (NFPA No. 70?2005), the applicable portions of other Articles of the National Electrical Code must be followed for electrical installations in manufactured homes. The use of arc-fault breakers under Articles 210.12(A) and (B), 440.65, and 550.25(A) and (B) of the National Electrical Code, NFPA No. 70?2005 is not required. However, if arc-fault breakers are provided, such use must be in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA No. 70?2005. Wherever the requirements of this standard differ from the National Electrical Code, these standards apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.