Using a flag pole as a raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunz

My boss does not like the look of ground lights (in grade or above grade), so he'd like me to price a bracket and light that will mount to the sides of our flag poles. Is there anything in the Code that states I cannot run pvc into the bottom of the pole and then up to a grommet or connctor at the height of the light bracket using the pole itself as a raceway?

iwire

Staff member
My boss does not like the look of ground lights (in grade or above grade), so he'd like me to price a bracket and light that will mount to the sides of our flag poles. Is there anything in the Code that states I cannot run pvc into the bottom of the pole and then up to a grommet or connctor at the height of the light bracket using the pole itself as a raceway?

You cannot run single conductors outside of a listed raceway, you could run UF or other suitable cable in the pole.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A luminaire pole is considered a raceway, and there are handhole requirements and grounding requirements. But is this a lumiaire pole?

How will you fish the cable up the pole?

And I have done a lot of flag pole lighting. Putting luminaires on the side of the pole does not work well. There is a document I can't find that discusses how to light flag poles, the luminaire needs to be back and about ten feet high.

Our local high school has a flag pole with a lumiaire on top as part of it. Thats the best solution, but I don't know who makes it.

Brunz

This is not a luminare pole. It is a flag pole, I don't much like the idea, but he doesn't like the look of ground lighting. There is a handhole in the bottom of it so grounding would not be difficult, but I wouldn't be making any splices in the pole. I would just do a straight pull from a PVC LB up through a 1/2" or 3/4" hole about 8' off the ground into a factory mounting bracket designed to mount to the side of a round pole.

raider1

Staff member
This is not a luminare pole. It is a flag pole, I don't much like the idea, but he doesn't like the look of ground lighting. There is a handhole in the bottom of it so grounding would not be difficult, but I wouldn't be making any splices in the pole. I would just do a straight pull from a PVC LB up through a 1/2" or 3/4" hole about 8' off the ground into a factory mounting bracket designed to mount to the side of a round pole.

Provided that you meet all the requirements of 410.30(B) I see no issue with your install.

I don't see anything in 410.30(B) that would prohibit a pole that supports a luminare to also be used to support a flag.:)

Chris

Brunz

Provided that you meet all the requirements of 410.30(B) I see no issue with your install.

I don't see anything in 410.30(B) that would prohibit a pole that supports a luminare to also be used to support a flag.:)

Chris

Thank you. It's a little tricky but I think it's legal. As to whether or not the lights will illuminate the flags is another story altogether. Guess it will depend on which way the wind is blowing!

Ragin Cajun

The Perkin's restaurant in our area has lights mounted on a bracket clamped to the pole about 4 feet from the bottom. Has the advantage when you simply don't have the space to mount otherwise. I think the flex is external to the pole. Actually doesn't do such a bad job.

RC

220/221

My boss does not like the look of ground lights (in grade or above grade),

A properly installed well light (below grade) can't be seen unless you are right up on it. Use a narrow or very narrow spot, depending on height. Installation AND maintenance will be a lot easier.

Brunz

A properly installed well light (below grade) can't be seen unless you are right up on it. Use a narrow or very narrow spot, depending on height. Installation AND maintenance will be a lot easier.

In my experience, I'm a maintenance electrician taking care of a large facility, and the well lights you speak of have had a 100% fail ratio. Everyone I've ever had the pleasure of working on after a few years of use will always fill with water, either by leakage or by condensation build up. There were originally 6 of these lights mounted around 3 flag poles and every one of them failed due to water build up and corrosion 4 years after installation, I am trying to find a way to fix a problem that is already there.
This is why I tried convincing my boss of some stanchion mount above grade HID's set back from the poles and then landscaped if neccessary. But he wants to see if we can mount them on the poles themselves.

Last edited:

Brunz

The Perkin's restaurant in our area has lights mounted on a bracket clamped to the pole about 4 feet from the bottom. Has the advantage when you simply don't have the space to mount otherwise. I think the flex is external to the pole. Actually doesn't do such a bad job.

RC

Is there only one light mounted on the pole? And does it illuminate the flag even when the wind is blowing in the opposite direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.