Megger Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of picking up one to use in my service work. Wondering what brand and model those of you who have one, have? Any suggestions or one's to stay away from?

Thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Vote #2 for the Fluke 1507.
icon14.gif

zog

I'm thinking of picking up one to use in my service work. Wondering what brand and model those of you who have one, have? Any suggestions or one's to stay away from?

Thanks

Depends on the type of equipment you will be testing and how much you will use it. The 1507 seems to be a popular entry level model.

wptski

Try running a PI or DAR test on a motor or two and see what happens? More than likely you'll get a out of range error because it's lacking in maximum range.

The same motor that errors out during the PI or DAR test at 500V will generate a value or not error using a AEMC 1060 at the same voltage because it has a higher maximum range. Sometimes using 1000V will work without a error.

Good for anything else but PI/DAR tests and although not marked has the AC coupled type of TRMS like a 87-V.

How do you know that, the Op has not said what his needs are. I own 5 Meggers, none of them are a 1507, beacuse it does not meet my needs.

What five do you have?

Thanks for the suggestions, am looking to see what I can find on Ebay now. I'm a new, one man shop, so dropping +$500 out of pocket is a bit tight at the moment.

My needs? Actually, I had never put much thought into one of these until this house I'm on now. Old cloth covered romex remodel job. Adding cans, ect.. to the home. Normally wouldn't bother me to tap into the existing jboxes in the attic if all looks well, but when I got in the attic -- the un-vented, EXTREMELY oven hot attic -- I found plenty of rodent gnawing. I don't think the homeowner is going to want to rewire the whole house, even though I think that's what should be done. So, I basically want to meg it out when I'm finished fixing what I can, to cover myself for any future liability if the wires ever do bake through and arc.

wptski

What five do you have?

Thanks for the suggestions, am looking to see what I can find on Ebay now. I'm a new, one man shop, so dropping +$500 out of pocket is a bit tight at the moment.

My needs? Actually, I had never put much thought into one of these until this house I'm on now. Old cloth covered romex remodel job. Adding cans, ect.. to the home. Normally wouldn't bother me to tap into the existing jboxes in the attic if all looks well, but when I got in the attic -- the un-vented, EXTREMELY oven hot attic -- I found plenty of rodent gnawing. I don't think the homeowner is going to want to rewire the whole house, even though I think that's what should be done. So, I basically want to meg it out when I'm finished fixing what I can, to cover myself for any future liability if the wires ever do bake through and arc.
Even if a conductor has been chewed right down to the copper, unless it's touching a ground, a megger won't help. If it arced over, turned the insulation to a carbon bridge to ground, then you'll catch that. Even 1000V won't jump much of a gap.

If it arced over, turned the insulation to a carbon bridge to ground, then you'll catch that.

Yes, this is what I want to check for.

Was able to crawl through the attic early this am and the rodent damage doesn't seem to be as bad as I first though. Mainly want to make sure none of the j box splices have done like you said and turned to carbon.

Watching a 1520, a few 1587's and 1507's now on ebay.

cadpoint

Sell them a circuit! Negating circuit load -Tapping - ah ...

Back to the opening line!

As far as the 1507 there's wants and needs! :D

Sell them a circuit! Negating circuit load -Tapping - ah ...

Back to the opening line!

As far as the 1507 there's wants and needs! :D

Oh, after thinking over what I was doing in the home, and talking with the HO, I did just that. New service upgrade, and anything new I add will be on new circuits. So, the meter is paid for already, just money out of my pocket for the time being. :D

zog

What five do you have?

The 2 I use the most are my MIT1020 and MIT510, bith interface with PowerBD and import the results directly into my test reports. I also have an MIT 400 I keep in my car for whatever comes up. I have an older AEMC 5kV one, can't recall the model, but still works. And lastly an old Biddle hand crank, just in case I forget to charge my batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.