how much time

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Got a request from a customer to give them a bid on "floor boxes only" for power and communications. (Plus conduit, wire & installation for them) Building shell is already going up so someone has to have permit for that part. Lighting to be figured later as well as gen purpose recepts etc.

How much time would you spend on giving out a bid for 10 floor recepts?

They wanted it by Tuesday at the latest and I just opened up the email this morning. O well.

satcom

They wanted it by Tuesday at the latest and I just opened up the email this morning. O well.

Yup, that sounds like a customer that I would like to do business with, they call on something that they had plenty of time to plan and bid, so there is a reason your getting the call now, and it may just be they had someone bid the job and they went with them, and then changed their mind, and want to shop for cheaper bids, you have been chosen the honor of becoming the new fish. I would give them my best 10 minute guess on the high end, and if they show an intrest then put in the time.

Last edited:

sparky=t

you have to walk the job or did they forward plans?, same gc that is doing the shell I presume, unless you know of them I would not spend a whole lot of time!

Rewire

I would spend 0 time on this,probably an EC on this project who either cant get to the floor boxes or they were extra and he was a bit higher than they want to spend.

pmguy

Figure a 3/4" pvc conduit for power and a 1" for telephone / data. Floor boxes range quite a bit in price but you can get the two compartment plastic floor boxes from Carlon, activation plates and a brass cover plate for about $148.00 (one side for power and the other for telephone). Labor should be about three hours per location (this is a bit high but you need to figure in layout, setting box, making sure box is set close to correct height and somewhat level, time to go back and cut to finish floor once pour back is done and then installing all the devices and brass cover. There will be several times you will have to go back and deal with these so make sure you cover the cost for that if you are not already on site working. I would say (assuming the nearest full height wall is within 20-feet) $315 - $450 per floor box would be good. Now that assumes the conduits can be in slab and you dont have to trench at all, all saw cut / break-up, removal and patch back are excluded, the boxes are within 20-feet of full height wall and that the floor boxes are the cheaper plastic ones and not the steel, fully adjustable ones that are way more expensive.

Good Luck!!

nyerinfl

Got a request from a customer to give them a bid on "floor boxes only" for power and communications. (Plus conduit, wire & installation for them) Building shell is already going up so someone has to have permit for that part. Lighting to be figured later as well as gen purpose recepts etc.

How much time would you spend on giving out a bid for 10 floor recepts?

10 minute bid.

assumes 50-100' HRs
5 floor box receps - $1500
5 floor box data - $1500
includes PVC floor box covers, they're cheap, brass covers $125 extra each.
x O&P

done

cowboyjwc

Staff member
No more of a pain for an inspector than to have two EC's working on the same job. Suddenly neither one is responsible for anything.

If there is already an EC on this job and the GC or owner is shopping bids, I would politly bow out.

Status
Not open for further replies.