CT License Renewals

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

I just got my renewal forms for my Master and Journeyman license for CT and the fees doubled.

Journeyman $120/year
Master $150/year
7 hour Continuing Education every year $165
$435/year to maintain my CT licenses.

WHAT A RIP OFF!!!

In CT do I need both licenses?
Can I drop the Journeyman's license?

I know in MA you need both if you want to run a business and do the work.

In MA,
Journeyman $78/3 years
Master $117/3 years
15 hour Continuing Education every 3 years $225
$420 every 3 years

CT is 3 time the cost to maintain the same licenses.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
That's shameful what CT is doing. There is no way that they can justify that outrageous TAX. Call your State Rep and Senator and complain loudly. Get some others to do the same. That TAX needs to be repealed. A way to raise money silently.:mad:

fishin' electrician

Yeah CT is quite the rip-off state.

They pulled the same crap this year by doubling fishing licenses from 20 to 40 for inland waters. After enough complaints they lowered it to 28, but of course they kept my $12.:mad::mad::mad:

fishin' electrician

Sorry, you got me angry all over again (at the state, not you:D) and I forgot to answer the question.

In CT do I need both licenses?
Can I drop the Journeyman's license?

No, and yes, it stays in the system as "inactive". See Sec. 20-334a of the CT General Statutes

Sec. 20-334a. Types of licenses. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the following licenses may be issued by the Department of Consumer Protection, upon authorization of the boards, under the provisions of section 20-333:

(1) (A) An unlimited contractor's license may be issued to a person who has served as a journeyman in the trade for which such person seeks a license for not less than two years and, if such service as a journeyman was outside this state, has furnished evidence satisfactory to the appropriate state board that such service is comparable to similar service in this state, or has furnished satisfactory evidence of education and experience and has passed an examination which has demonstrated that such person is competent in all aspects of such trade to be an unlimited contractor. (B) A limited contractor's license may be issued to a person who fulfills the requirements of subparagraph (A) of this subdivision as to a specific area or areas within the trade for which such person seeks a license. (C) The holder of an unlimited or a limited contractor's license may, within the trade, or the area or areas of the trade, for which such holder has been licensed, furnish supplies and do layout, installation, repair and maintenance work and distribute and handle materials, provided nothing in this subdivision shall be construed to authorize the performance of any action for which licensure is required under the provisions of chapter 390 or 391. Such licensee shall furnish the board with evidence that such licensee will comply with all state requirements pertaining to workers' compensation and unemployment insurance and that such evidence shall be available to any properly interested person prior to the issuance of a license under this subdivision.

Read the whole thing here http://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/sup/Chap393.htm.

I know in MA you need both if you want to run a business and do the work.

That just seems ridiculous :roll:.

FrancisDoody

It is all in the cost of doing business. I think $150.00 is a reasonable fee for protecting your livelyhood. Just think what life would be like in a career field that is unlicensed. Every Tom Dick and Harry would be out there doing Electrical work. Do you know any roofers, handymen or carpenter's? They are being undercut and put out of business because they do not have the same strict govermental rules that you find in the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC fields. CE is just something that you have to live with. I take a positive approach to it and look for something that I can learn from that day spent in the classroom. You live in Mass. if it is that bad don't come to Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.