?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky723

Why would Mike use the 75 degree col. of 310.16 throughout his 2008 Nec Exam Prep book? Throughout the book he comments "use 60 degree unless stated to use 75 degree..." Kinda throws ya off.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know the answer however, the normal situation one would use 75C but if you are not given the info then you must assume 60C.

sparky723

I still dont get it. alot of the questions are over 100 amps. actually nearly all are over 100a.

how do you size with 60c when you have over 100a in the question?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

The exam info (or test prep info in this case) is all that matters.

For example, if the exam instructions tells you to ignore all exceptions, that is what you need to do when answering the questions

With that said, if you are using NM or SE you would have to use the 60% column across the board.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I still dont get it. alot of the questions are over 100 amps. actually nearly all are over 100a.

For over 100 amps you would be required to use the 75? column according to 110.14(C)(1).

stevenje

Why would Mike use the 75 degree col. of 310.16 throughout his 2008 Nec Exam Prep book? Throughout the book he comments "use 60 degree unless stated to use 75 degree..." Kinda throws ya off.....

Maybe this will help.

Take a look at the Introduction page 10 (x) of 2008 NEC Exam Preparation Book under the Scope of NEC Exam Preparation section. In the first paragraph it states "This textbook contains the following stipulations:" Read on until you find the Conductor Sizing sub-section. This is where it says "Conductors are sized based on a THHN copper conductor terminating on a 75C terminal in accordance with 110.14(C), unless the question or example identifies otherwise." I think that Mike and his staff are just trying to standardize the "conductors" for the conductor calculations for the entire book.

I am assuming that you are referring to Page 152 & 153 as one of the examples of the workbook comments "use 60 degree unless stated to use 75 degree..."

I also assume that you are studying for an upcoming test. Study hard and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.