Conductor under Screw Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I searched through the archives and really couldn't get the search function to find what I need.

When terminating a conductor under a screw I have always required the conductor to be wrapped around the screw so that when the screw is tightened the conductor under the screw "twists" the same direction of the screw so that the "loop" of the conductor gets tighter as the screw is turned.

I hope I explained myself on what I am asking.....where is it in the code? Or is this in one of the ANSI books or is it just workmanship???

My inspector wrote a contractor up for it and we were looking for it in the code........It's got to be somewhere out there!!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Okay, I searched through the archives and really couldn't get the search function to find what I need.

When terminating a conductor under a screw I have always required the conductor to be wrapped around the screw so that when the screw is tightened the conductor under the screw "twists" the same direction of the screw so that the "loop" of the conductor gets tighter as the screw is turned.

I hope I explained myself on what I am asking.....where is it in the code? Or is this in one of the ANSI books or is it just workmanship???

My inspector wrote a contractor up for it and we were looking for it in the code........It's got to be somewhere out there!!

There actually is a illustration of what you describe in the 2005 handbook.
110-14 but it is for terminating aluminum wires. Not to mention it is explanatory and not enforceable.
But when I was in QC I required it to be done that way and so does our working standards.
Not to mention it makes sense.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
These screws are wire-binding screw terminals.

If you read the commentary in 110.14 it will tell you that these screws (terminals) have UL requirements for their use.

The commentary shows me how to explain the first line of 110.14(A).

Then go to 404.14(C) and 406.2(C).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You always wrap a wire so that as the screw is tightened it will grab the wire. Whether code, manufacturer instruction, or not it makes sense and gives a better connection. Certainly you could squeeze the wire while tighening and get the same effect but why not just doing it so you aren't fighting the laws of screwing. :)

guschash

I found it in 110.14 2008 and also in the American Electricans' Handbook. I am surprise at the number of people who it the other way. It just makes sense to tight the wire when tighting the screw.

gus

Status
Not open for further replies.